Author Topic: Waste Watchers & the PC  (Read 2478 times)

Cornhusker

Waste Watchers & the PC
« Posted: 06 Dec 2011, 21:37:47 »
Sad that apparently PC members may have to resign due to recent activity at the Augean site! The cost to the local community for the policing of this action by some ill-advised members of a local group is unacceptable and they should take full responsibility for their actions. Perhaps it is time to stand back and to accept the inevitable and continue to benefit from the various grants from the landfill that this community and many others in the locality have already taken.
Sadly no one has ever queried the use of the site as a toxic waste dump - anyone worked out the health damage of all the chemicals currently on site? The low level radiation offers far less hazard than the risk from chemical pollution but where were the protestors then!
« Last Edit: 06 Dec 2011, 21:38:37 by Cornhusker »

clive ibotson

Re: Waste Watchers & the PC
« Reply #1 Posted: 07 Dec 2011, 06:29:57 »
I would be interested to see the minutes of the parish council when the original planing for the pit was first mooted,the published ones dont go back that far.

clive ibotson

« Reply #2 Posted: 07 Dec 2011, 06:42:18 »
PS why shoud anyone resign

Russell Brown

• Global Moderator
    • Russell's Home Page
« Reply #3 Posted: 07 Dec 2011, 08:00:44 »
I agree - can't see any reason for resignations.

No matter what you think about the 'demo' or Wastewatchers other activities, you can't deny that those involved have put themselves on the line for what they perceive to be the interests of the community.

n

« Reply #4 Posted: 07 Dec 2011, 08:33:41 »
It would be a great loss to the Parish Council if anyone resigned over this.  If anything we could do with a few more PC members like this, they are willing to put themselves on the line.  Used to be a good thing if representatives stood up for your cause, now, if anyone dares to voice a different opinion; resignations are called for.  No forced resignations please, look at the alternative; resignations would probably get the old crew co-opted back on the PC.Please NO. :mad:
Augean don't give grants from the kindness of their heart, they have to.

saflog

« Reply #5 Posted: 07 Dec 2011, 17:30:52 »
Don't see why anyone should resign - they were  not protesting for the Parish Council, they were representing Waste Watchers- the fact that some were Councillors is irrelevant in this incident.

HilaryB

• Snr. Member
« Reply #6 Posted: 15 Dec 2011, 10:29:07 »
Clive - the PC minutes have only been computerised since I became Clerk in 2001.  Older minute books were sent back to County Hall by a well-meaning Chairman before my time and the only way to see them is to make an appointment at County Hall.  I would love to look at some of the really old records, it is sad that this happened, but can't be undone.  The few I have before my time are interesting in that the same agenda items occur year after year after year!

clive ibotson

« Reply #7 Posted: 17 Dec 2011, 20:08:07 »
I have it on good authority that the parish council DID NOT object to the pit at the time unlike the county of Bedford which will not accept anyones waste from outside their county and they have acres of disused clay pits to the south of Bedford.We seem to be seeing the councils apathy in regard to the doctors surgery,with a little foresight maybe it could have been incorperated within the new housing development on wood rd or maybe it could be built on the spare ground behind the club.Come on councilors lets have some real leadership and not just accepting the status quo!

mgd

• Parish Councillors
« Reply #8 Posted: 17 Dec 2011, 22:16:18 »
Where did you get that info????

clive ibotson

« Reply #9 Posted: 18 Dec 2011, 06:02:02 »
From a member of the parish council at the time,I think you know who it is Michael.

HilaryB

• Snr. Member
« Reply #10 Posted: 18 Dec 2011, 10:28:38 »
Can you give any dates, Clive?
Could be helpful if you want it properly researching!

clive ibotson

« Reply #11 Posted: 30 Jan 2013, 20:37:36 »
I see that the authorities in Cumbria dont want radioactive waste buried in their area,send it down here ,we'll have it.