Author Topic: Protest at Augean  (Read 1957 times)

saflog

Protest at Augean
« Posted: 04 Dec 2011, 18:57:12 »
As an ex-'Cliffite, I still take much interest in what happens in the village.  Although the protestors are to be admired, for their tenacity, especially as Friday was such a cold day, but isn't it now time to admit enough is enough and this is, sadly, a lost cause?  The likelihood of overcoming both Augean and Parliament is surely beyond all our wildest dreams.  No-one wants or ever wanted the landfill site, or Nuclear Waste, but very much afraid it's time to get over it, and accept the envitable.  Sorry guys........... but talking to friends in the village, the old village seem to agree with me, along with 150 new houses, it is a fact of life that can't be changed.

bodiddley

Re: Protest at Augean
« Reply #1 Posted: 05 Dec 2011, 20:32:15 »
Well, Saflog, exactly when should we have started to accept defeat? When the application went in, in 2009? Before the County Council decision in 2010? Before the Inquiry? Before our appeal to the High Court? Before our appeal to the Court of Appeal? But we didn't, and the situation is still alive. LLW was due to be dumped after March 2010; it's now December 2011... Let's accept defeat once we've been defeated.
Is there anything else you'd like us to roll over and accept defeat on, or can we continue to fight to protect this village and help it develop in a sustainable way in keeping with the wishes of the people who live here?

saflog

« Reply #2 Posted: 06 Dec 2011, 09:54:17 »
Bo Diddley - I said in my original post that I admired you all - you have done a fantastic job in fighting to stop this dumping at the tip, BUT, there must come a point when the powers that be have proved their supremacy; I have no idea of the amount of money involved in carrying on the fight, but it is sad that it appears this will be wasted.  The referendum decision was totally ignored by Parliament, despite the new bill supposedly giving the people a 'voice'. The wording was not as specific as it should have been, as I understand the District Council would not allow a straight yes or no question. I believe if you carried out a further referendum in the village now saying something like  "Do you feel that Nuclear Waste will be dumped at the landfill site, regardless of many appeals are taken to court?" - the overwhelming answer from the community would be yes.  As I said before, no-one wants or ever wanted the tip; I understand that the Parish Council fought against this vigorously when it was first suggested - a long time ago, and lost the fight.  I think the one thing you can congratulate yourselves on is that when this waste is dumped, it will be far more thoroughly monitored that it would have been before your protests.  I still wish you the very best of luck with your endeavours, but think at the end of the day, my words will proved to be right.

n

« Reply #3 Posted: 06 Dec 2011, 14:37:39 »
exactly when should we have started to accept defeat?

Louise Mensch was very committed to the protest and seems to have been able to accept defeat, just after she was elected, if I am not mistaken, um wonder if that was a coincidence.  :-\

saflog

« Reply #4 Posted: 06 Dec 2011, 14:44:05 »
Does she know something we don't - there could be a reason for a back off we haven't been told about!

n

« Reply #5 Posted: 06 Dec 2011, 15:25:44 »
Hi Salog   In my opinion probably not.  Not wanting to sound suspicious I think being elected was mission accomplished;  and who knows the Nuclear Waste may effect our memory, so next election we will believe it when we are told "I have a  responsibility to stand up for my constituents and will do what I can to help with your campaign".

clive ibotson

« Reply #6 Posted: 07 Dec 2011, 06:39:23 »
PS why should anyone resign.

dearlove

« Reply #7 Posted: 10 Dec 2011, 09:02:42 »
Saflog
There is a world of difference between accepting the possibility of defeat and accepting its inevitability. When we have exhausted all the democratic, legal and judicial routes, the only remaining option is direct action. The "powers that be" have no more right to exist than any of us, they are merely people, they have no special abilities or exemptions. If what they choose to do is immoral, unethical, illegal or just plain wrong, it is never the case that we should tolerate it without further question. Fortunately for us, throughout history and the world today there are millions of people who are prepared to die or face imprisonment for their willingness to oppose official wrongdoing. We have a Communities Sectretary who espouses localism as an ideal, then rides roughshod over the views of local people. Our self-seeking, narcissistic constituency MP has no interest in representing our views in any meaningful way. These people depend on our acquiescence and apathy. There is a chance that we will fail, but we have to try - like not giving up on exploring a potential cure for a terminal illness when the doctors have told you it's hopeless, or buying a lottery ticket every week when all odds are stacked against you winning. What we need is support and action, not negativity and defeatism.