Author Topic: New Years Eve  (Read 2747 times)

Reggie

• Administrator
New Years Eve
« Posted: 20 Nov 2011, 21:48:04 »
The last few years when we all meet at the cross to welcome in the New Year, NO Church Bells, it used to be really nice, is there any way they could ring in the New Year again. O:-)

Rob. M

• Parish Councillors
Re: New Years Eve
« Reply #1 Posted: 26 Nov 2011, 09:48:12 »
Hi Reggie, New Year's Eve is never the same without the bells so I have asked tower captain David Teall if a peel of bells can be arranged. Finger's crossed  :)

Reggie

• Administrator
« Reply #2 Posted: 26 Nov 2011, 11:20:33 »
Thank you Rob.  The number of people turning up at the cross is growing year on year, a peel of bells would be the icing on the cake.  :party003:
« Last Edit: 26 Nov 2011, 12:09:09 by Reggie »

n

« Reply #3 Posted: 26 Nov 2011, 13:36:06 »
Brilliant idea.  PLEASE David Teall ;D seeing in the New Year without bells makes it feel a little flat.

HilaryB

• Snr. Member
« Reply #4 Posted: 26 Nov 2011, 17:03:56 »
Many moons ago, probably 20 years, and I'm sure if time-scale is wrong, someone will put me right  - we all rocked up in Hall Yard from whatever parties were going on in the village on NYE - bells weren't really necessary (surely the bell-ringers would prefer to be partying?) - loads of people singing Auld Lang Syne - and hugs and kisses all round welcomed in the New Year; I'm a bit past that now, but come on you young 'uns, keep the tradition going :)

Fireworks Graham

« Reply #5 Posted: 28 Nov 2011, 18:03:23 »
The Church bells need bell ringers to make them ring and I know anyone - Church connected or not - would be most welcome to go along and have a go.  That way with more than just a very small but committed band we might be able to ring the New Year in.  On a practical level with just a small team it only takes one or two people to be away and there aren't enough to ring.  That said the Church clock does strike the hour - Big Ben Style.  Personally I think we should raise some money to have a fireworks display instead - but then I would!

HilaryB

• Snr. Member
« Reply #6 Posted: 28 Nov 2011, 19:33:40 »
No thanks to the fireworks - the ones which are let off on NYE keep us at home because of animals who HATE them (consequently, not much of a fan myself!)  Sorry, very beautiful, but why so much noise?!?!?!?!?!  Quiet fireworks are available, had some one year in our field when grandchildren were here - didn't bother the animals at all and I actually enjoyed them!

Russell Brown

• Global Moderator
    • Russell's Home Page
« Reply #7 Posted: 29 Nov 2011, 08:07:42 »
Many moons ago, probably 20 years, and I'm sure if time-scale is wrong, someone will put me right  - we all rocked up in Hall Yard from whatever parties were going on in the village on NYE

I'm very pleased to say that the tradition continues and people still gather at the cross each year.

David Teall

« Reply #8 Posted: 30 Dec 2011, 09:21:42 »
I am pleased to be able to tell you that I have been able to get together a band and the bells will ring in the New Year.  We will ring all six bells from around 23:40 to 23:58, pause for 2 minutes, ring 12 blows on the tenor starting at midnight and then ring all six bells again until about 00:15.

Verina Henchy

« Reply #9 Posted: 30 Dec 2011, 10:13:35 »
yeah...we have a rare community spirit in this village.  I'm thrilled that there is such a committment to preserve it.  Thank you to everyone for their efforts.  See you on New Years Eve at the Cross!  XX

HilaryB

• Snr. Member
« Reply #10 Posted: 30 Dec 2011, 10:23:41 »
Wonderful - sadly will be at home with dogs and horses as someone, somewhere in the village will be letting off fireworks, and my animals hate them!  Happy Ne Years!

Russell Brown

• Global Moderator
    • Russell's Home Page
« Reply #11 Posted: 30 Dec 2011, 21:39:42 »
Triffic! Hasn't been the same without the bells ringing in the new year. :goodjob:

See everyone at the Cross just before midnight (for anyone that doesn't know - it's an informal village gathering for ten minutes or so to see in the new year; everyone welcome).

:party003: :party003: :party003:
« Last Edit: 30 Dec 2011, 21:43:36 by Russell Brown »

Reggie

• Administrator
« Reply #12 Posted: 02 Jan 2012, 12:08:14 »
Many many thanks to the bell ringers for ringing in the new year; it really was a terrific addition to the midnight gathering at the Cross and was much appreciated by everyone there.

n

« Reply #13 Posted: 04 Jan 2012, 19:46:02 »
Thank you so much to the bell ringers and everyone that organized it, it was wonderful, everyone's comment; with a smile, "the bells how great is this".  Thank you