Author Topic: Have you got confidence in the local Doctors?  (Read 3981 times)

Joe Bloggs

Have you got confidence in the local Doctors?
« Posted: 21 Oct 2011, 21:13:09 »
Have you got confidence in the local Doctors ?
Do you feel as if you are wasting there time ?
Let us know What you think!

Lummers

Re: Have you got confidence in the local Doctors?
« Reply #1 Posted: 22 Oct 2011, 01:00:57 »
Interesting post in the 'for sale' section  :)
I'm thinking the moderators should perhaps move this.
But as you ask, yes they seem pretty good to me so long as you are not on death's door, as it takes an age to get to see one!

mgd

• Parish Councillors
« Reply #2 Posted: 28 Oct 2011, 14:22:40 »
What's Joe on about. Where did this come from? has Joe got issues?

Rob. M

• Parish Councillors
« Reply #3 Posted: 31 Oct 2011, 12:59:48 »
So far I have been very fortunate in not often needing a doctor but when required a local doctor, nurse or pharmacist has been ready, willing and able. A wait is sometimes needed especially to see one's prefered doctor, or a visit to Wansford, but this is understandable given the constant demands on general health services.

More importantly, is Kings Cliffe aware that it could lose its surgery altogether? A pending inspection next year is likely to declare the existing building, 'unfit for purpose'. Street parking is clearly a problem but there are also unseen shortcomings with the adapted West Street building. Around two years ago the possibility of a new surgery sited at the Community Sports Centre was explored. But due to lack of funding nothing came of the idea to combine health promoting recreational activities alongside a new health centre/surgery. Other possible sites closer to the village centre have been suggested recently like somewhere along Wood Road or on the Eastern fringe of the village.

But wherever a new surgery might be built funding is paramount. Evidently the local practice cannot invest more on top of the existing loans for recent developments at Wansford. With new housing and increased demands at King's Cliffe a new purpose built surgery should be an important part of village planning. Perhaps another community project is needed to fund raise for a new 'Cliffe surgery? Where should a possible new surgery best be located? Is a shuttle minibus to Wansford a viable alternative? What do other's think? I understand that the doctor's would like our views.   

« Last Edit: 31 Oct 2011, 13:04:14 by Rob. M »

Russell Brown

• Global Moderator
    • Russell's Home Page
« Reply #4 Posted: 01 Nov 2011, 18:40:57 »
As any new surgery building is going to run into the 100,000s it's not going to be a trivial matter for the community to fund  :(

How is the Doctors practice structured and funded?  I know there's a whole raft of different ways GPs can be organised and understanding this could make quite a difference.

Does the practice own the freehold on the current KC surgery? or it is owned by the PCT and leased to the practice?

Perhaps someone from the practice could provide some details.
« Last Edit: 01 Nov 2011, 18:41:41 by Russell Brown »

clive ibotson

« Reply #5 Posted: 08 Nov 2011, 05:12:30 »
Go to Brigstock and see what they have there,what have our parish council been doing for the last 40 years?

Russell Brown

• Global Moderator
    • Russell's Home Page
« Reply #6 Posted: 08 Nov 2011, 08:45:51 »
Just had a quick look at the recent Brigstock PC minutes on their website and nothings jumps out as being that different from KC PC stuff (dealing with planning apps, dog fouling, street lighting etc etc).

What does Brigstock have/do/done that makes them exceptional?

WRT the Parish Council's activities over the last 40 years.... I've only been on the PC since May so really can't comment :) but with the first elections in 25 years for the current Council (IIRC) there's obviously more interest and willingness to participate in the PC than has been the case in the recent past.... which has got to be a good thing.

clive ibotson

« Reply #7 Posted: 08 Nov 2011, 14:03:04 »
Brigstock has a doctors surgery,car parking,sports field etc all in one place centered round an attractive area by the river,its worth having a look to see what could have been done with the right foresight.

Cornhusker

« Reply #8 Posted: 09 Nov 2011, 19:53:21 »
Sorry but I think we are very lucky with our surgery, communicare etc. A new surgery in KC would be excellent and hopefully will be on the cards for discussion.

Fireworks Graham

« Reply #9 Posted: 15 Nov 2011, 08:50:33 »
As a family we've always been more than happy with the service we've received from our doctors and staff at the surgery.  I did read about the future of our surgery and this does cause some concern for those without transport being able to get to Wansford.  I'm not confident that if we lose the facility in Cliffe it will be replaced, and also given the investment already made in the premises in Wansford, would it not make more sense to continue investing the cost of a new building here in Cliffe there.  I'm sure there are ways around not having premises here that could tie into volunteer drivers, designated slots for patients from Cliffe without transport, using the Church minibus to get groups there, etc etc.

HilaryB

• Snr. Member
« Reply #10 Posted: 16 Nov 2011, 12:02:42 »
I don't wish to put the cat among the pigeons, but, I am with the Oundle surgery and have just spoken to them regarding how people without transport get in to the surgery.  Apparently Oundle have a dedicated volunteer group (and I realise Oundle has more inhabitants, therefore more volunteers to call upon) - but they also said that many old people are taken by friends and relatives, who would go with them regardless of the distance involved, for support.  I don't know if the volunteer group which used to exist in 'Cliffe is still in action, but as Wansford is such a modern surgery, I cannot see that it would be practical to replicate it four miles away, resulting in some treatments being carried out there and some in 'Cliffe.  I totally understand that no-one wants to see the surgery in the village close, but feel if it did happen, it could result in Wansford having more facilities which could avoid hospital treatments.  Please don't everyone shout at me, I am just trying to be practical.  So often people say they have to go to Wansford for a particular treatment.  This question mark over the surgery being closed has been on-going for many years.  I sincerely hope it doesn't happen, but it wouldn't be the end of the world - when a doctor is needed for an emergency there is no 'local' doctor at 2.am. as there used to be years ago.

SimFH

« Reply #11 Posted: 20 Nov 2011, 21:48:26 »
I'm sure KC&ACSP (Kings Cliffe Active) would be happy to have a discussion with the Surgery or the PCT about the development of the site.

Russell Brown

• Global Moderator
    • Russell's Home Page
« Reply #12 Posted: 25 Nov 2011, 18:49:42 »
Go to Brigstock and see what they have there,what have our parish council been doing for the last 40 years?

Just as a followup to this.

I've been in contact with Brigstock Parish Council and they've told me in no-uncertain-terms that they had nothing whatsoever to do with the Doctor's surgery.

It was built on land purchased by the Doctors/PCT from a third party (not the PC).

It's also worth noting that, as I understand it, under section 137 of the Local Government Act; while the PC is able to spend money for the benefit of the community on items for which it otherwise has no statutory powers, the amount is very very limited (I calculate it at a bit over 5,000) which wouldn't build much of a surgery. (IANAL :-\)

Even if the PC were minded to spend what little it could (and had the funds... which it doesn't), there's still huge, probably insurmountable, legal problems with using PC funds to support a private for-profit business.

Given those constraints  I don't really see what the PC can do to help.

HilaryB

• Snr. Member
« Reply #13 Posted: 26 Nov 2011, 10:54:23 »
Thanks Russell, this is what I had said all along, but no-one seemed to find the necessary regulatory statement, even NCALC who are supposed to advise the PC -you have achieved it ^-^
; well done

clive ibotson

« Reply #14 Posted: 26 Nov 2011, 14:33:24 »
All I sugested was to go and have a look at Brigstock and see what they have achieved,I did not say their parish council had funded it.It is not the councils job to fund private enterprises.The Kingscliffe Parish Council has a long history of mediocrity and Im pleased to see that they are continuing with this proud tradition.