Author Topic: Hard work  (Read 1744 times)

mygodeager

Hard work
« Posted: 08 Sep 2011, 14:09:35 »
Trying to get this site running is like getting blood out of a stone. Many thanks to all have contributed so far .I can only believe that the whole village is completely happy with their lot.!!!! Happy with the Pit up the road !!!. Happy with the development on Wood road!!!!  Happy with the way the pc works !!!Happy with parking in the village . Happy village!!!!

HilaryB

• Snr. Member
Re: Hard work
« Reply #1 Posted: 09 Sep 2011, 11:59:28 »
Sadly 90% of the time in 'Cliffe, apathy rules!  Trust me, I'm a native!

Lummers

« Reply #2 Posted: 23 Sep 2011, 10:31:44 »
I don't think the village is apathetic on many of these issues - just seems that the more we shout, the less we are heard so I guess people get fed up with shouting. There cannot have been many local action groups that have been as well organised and generated as much support and news coverage (at national level) as the anti-nuclear dump campaign. Perhaps if members of the pc are missing all this then that could be a root cause of why we don't seem to get any results!

mgd

• Parish Councillors
« Reply #3 Posted: 23 Sep 2011, 11:13:20 »

I think Apathy does rule. As far as the Augean site is concerned the PC have vigorously opposed the application for the depositing of LLW from the very start . The PC arranged public meetings and even spoke at the public inquiry. I notice you imply that the more you shout the less you are heard. I would suggest that if people have things to say it would be a good idea to attend the PC meetings, when these issues are discussed (Notices of the meetings are always published) and if they have a gripe they are always welcome to have their say.

saflog

« Reply #4 Posted: 23 Sep 2011, 12:40:55 »
It's too easy to make the Parish Council the scapegoat.  Meetings are open to all,  and minutes go back many years on the website.  Go to meetings, read the minutes - take it for granted that, when reported to the PC,  street lights are repaired, drains are cleared, burial grounds maintained, and the most obscure and peculiar subjects are addressed whenever feasible, usually by the clerk; no councillors receive remuneration or expenses, BUT, also remember, the real power is limited to the decisions made by higher authorities, who frequently ignore the wishes of small communities.  This must cause extreme frustration for hard-working councillors, who care deeply for their community.

Lummers

« Reply #5 Posted: 23 Sep 2011, 14:15:19 »
I think perhaps I have been misunderstood.
I wasn't levelling any crticism at the pc and, to Michael's point, he is absolutely right that the pc did stand steadfastly against the nuclear waste issue, for which they should be applauded. I also support all the hard work they put in across many local issues, often with little thanks.
However, back to my point, Hilary and then subsequently Michael both comment that they think the villagers are apathetic. I was merely making the point that I don't necessarily agree - as shown by the dump campaign. My final (sarcastic) comment was my way of saying that surely Hilary (as I was initially replying to her post) and the rest of the pc can see that such a campaign demonstrates anything but apathy. Apologies if it came over the wrong way.
However the frustration remains, just as Saflog points out that the real power lies elsewhere and so sadly no matter how hard we shout - villagers, action groups, pc - we just don't seem to be heard on the big issues. Yes we should all perhaps come along to pc meetings but will it make a difference to anything but minor local matters - probably not. Anyway I might just surprise you one of these days and come along to a meeting :o
As for this site I would say don't be too negative too quickly.
Facebook wasn't built in a day!!
It will take time and word of mouth before it gets properly established.
I'm certainly having fun on here  ;D I've only made a handful of posts and already I have wound up the pc, got a job as stile mender and recruited another Steradent fan. I've also suggested via email that the cricket committee sign up so we can use the area to communicate.
How's that for a start?!

mgd

• Parish Councillors
« Reply #6 Posted: 23 Sep 2011, 14:53:12 »
Agree with almost every thing you say.   

This is what we wanted when we first thought of the site and thanks to all Russell hard work it now seems to coming alive. I still believe that there is much Apathy in KC, Most villagers only stir when the horse has bolted and its much to late to do anything about it.

It will take a lot more to wind me up!!!   

HilaryB

• Snr. Member
« Reply #7 Posted: 23 Sep 2011, 15:06:17 »
Agree with everyone - and that's a first, Michael ;)  but it is frustrating when the PC get blamed for that which isn't their fault.  Would be nice if this turned out to be a 2nd Facebook, but then it would be Russell who gets all the spoils :-\

mygodeager

« Reply #8 Posted: 23 Sep 2011, 21:38:46 »
At last.    Blood from stone.