Author Topic: Bring back our Kings Cliffe sub-post office  (Read 738 times)

Skybolt

Bring back our Kings Cliffe sub-post office
« Posted: 14 Dec 2016, 17:42:02 »
Hello friends,
I just started the petition "Post Office Counters Limited: When can we have a Post Office in Kings Cliffe again....???" and wanted to see if you could help by adding your name.
My goal is to reach 100 signatures and I need more support. You can read more and sign the petition here:
https://www.change.org/p/post-office-counters-limited-when-can-we-have-a-post-office-in-kings-cliffe-again?
Thanks!
Barry

Skybolt

Re: Bring back our Kings Cliffe sub-post office
« Reply #1 Posted: 14 Dec 2016, 17:46:26 »
Come on folks.  With the number of elderly and disabled residents and the lack of public transport this is essential.  Not to mention the many small businesses and home workers here.
Get signing and get all your friends to do the same.  We might get a result with it, you never know, but unless we try...........??????????

dag

« Reply #2 Posted: 14 Dec 2016, 18:57:28 »
Just signed it and I agree that we should have a local PO, the current one was closed under some "not very clear circumstances".

You should also know that the village hasn't been sitting idly by,

1 AJ the current shopkeeper has re-applied for the franchise.  There has to be a gap of 3 months between applications.

2 According to the Parish Council minutes this issue has been discussed several times and they feel strongly about it and have talked to AJ.  Their hands are tied as the PO is a commercial organisation with no accountability to anyone but the government and shareholders.

3 Transition Kings Cliffe wrote to our MP  (Tom Purseglove) in July, he responded positively and had a meeting with the Paula Vennels, the PO Chief Executive to raise the issue. 

If we want to raise this further then everyone should write to Tom Purseglove, the Post Office Chief Executive, Roger Glitheroe (District Councillor) and Heather Smith (County Councillor).

The other option would be for someone else to apply for the franchise if the current application fails.

There is also a petition at 38 degrees about this general issue as the government have a review about PO branches.  Sign it here
https://speakout.38degrees.org.uk/campaigns/Protect-our-post-offices

There's also an interesting article at:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/12/10/future-rural-post-offices-hang-balance-ministers-consider-change/
david

Skybolt

« Reply #3 Posted: 15 Dec 2016, 12:38:44 »
Many thanks for the useful information.  The problem has been known for many months and there has been no apparent progress.  This petition might just tip the balance in favour of a restoration of our vital Post Office facility.  I intend to draft a hard copy petition form to have available at all the village shops and the Cross Keys along with the Club for those who do not have any access to the internet.  This at the suggestion of a supporter.  The absence of our own sub-post office is an obscenity IMHO.

Skybolt

« Reply #4 Posted: 15 Dec 2016, 21:08:31 »
I have just posted an update announcing a paper petition.  138 signatures up to now so come on and get signing.  We need our post office back without further delay from Post Office Counters Limited.

https://www.change.org/p/post-office-counters-limited-when-can-we-have-a-post-office-in-kings-cliffe-again/u/18800237

Skybolt

« Reply #5 Posted: 16 Dec 2016, 11:59:22 »
Barry Tempest From Parliamentary business yesterday.  The petition seems to have reached Westminster, thanks to Tom Pursglove.

Tom Pursglove Conservative, Corby
Residents in King’s Cliffe are very concerned about the lack of post office facilities in the village and the amount of time it has been taking to try to get those facilities reopened. Will the Leader of the House join me in encouraging Post Office Ltd to expedite the matter and get those services reopened as an early Christmas present for my constituents? May I join my hon. Friend Edward Argar in calling for a debate on this next week?

David Lidington Lord President of the Council and Leader of the House of Commons
I know that my hon. Friend will continue to champion the interests of his constituents in securing the reopening of local post office services. As I said earlier, the Government do not intervene in the day-to-day business decisions of the Post Office, but I am sure that its senior management will have heard what he has said.

Skybolt

« Reply #6 Posted: 16 Dec 2016, 17:22:57 »
Had a letter this morning from Tom Pursglove fully supportive of the petition.  He intends to present in Parliament after the Christmas break.  The more who sign it the greater the impact.

Skybolt

« Reply #7 Posted: 24 Dec 2016, 19:47:31 »
Our MP forwarded a letter from Laura Tarling, the Public Affairs Manager for the Post Office. In it she states - "They have a prospective new operator currently progressing through the latter stages of the Post Office application process. They are yet to interview but remain hopeful that they wil be in a postion to restore services to King's Cliffe in the early part of 2017." In the meantime please keep on signing the petition. It will add more weight to our demands. Paper copies are at the various village outlets and the web based petition neverc closes. Have a great Christmas

Skybolt

« Reply #8 Posted: 19 Jan 2017, 09:37:47 »
The results of the petition have gone off to Tom Pursglove, our MP.  We gathered over 200 on the web based peti9tion and over 100 on the paper version from our retail outfits and the Cross Keys.  We now await developments and I will keep the forum readers informed.  Fingers crossed.

Skybolt

« Reply #9 Posted: 12 Feb 2017, 11:49:01 »
Well the present situation is that the shop tenants have now had their interview, in Birmingham, and have been accepted.  Now they have to be trained and that is yet to start.  What a bureaucratic, procrastinating process this has been and all because the previous tenant cancelled his contract with Post Office Counters Limited without discussing this with the fine new tenants well over a year ago.  It may well be some time yet before we have our facility back and to lift the burden from so many folk and businesses in our village.

Skybolt

« Reply #10 Posted: 12 Feb 2017, 11:56:41 »
Tom Pursglove, our MP, is well aware of the delays and the causes.  When all is settled he will be bringing the matter before Parliament to reveal the arcane processes of Post Office Counters Limited.  Perhaps the village will get another mention in Hansard.
Though not a Conservative voter I am extremely pleased with his efforts so far in the House on behalf of his constituents.