Author Topic: Gigaclear Demonstration event postponed  (Read 1311 times)

Rob. M

• Parish Councillors
Gigaclear Demonstration event postponed
« Posted: 12 Nov 2015, 16:22:18 »
Don't know whether this is news to most folk or not? Recently the Gazette advertised a Gigaclear November Demonstration Event to be held at King's Cliffe Social Club but today Gigaclear have emailed saying that this has been cancelled. They hope to re-arrange the demonstration event for early 2016. 

HilaryB

• Snr. Member
Re: Gigaclear Demonstration event postponed
« Reply #1 Posted: 13 Nov 2015, 12:56:30 »
I gave  up the option when we moved house - is anyone actually connected to Gigaclear yet?

Rob. M

• Parish Councillors
« Reply #2 Posted: 13 Nov 2015, 13:02:28 »
Yes, connected and using Gigaclear as are some neighbours. Great for catch up TV without constant 'buffering' and getting online during peak demand when I used to struggle. Still need to investigate Vonage (telephone) before abandoning BT entirely.

IanC

« Reply #3 Posted: 13 Nov 2015, 14:06:01 »
Postponed - maybe because they have not completed the job!! Received an email from them today stating I would be connected soon but the main emphasis of the email was to inform me of the price increase from the 1 January. I had actually contacted them on Wednesday to inquire about what was happening regarding connecting houses on West Street as I saw no notices about a road closure which they have to declare if they are closing the road or any signs of any work being done. The reply was as follows:
I understand your frustration with the work not being carried out in West Street.
We have requested that the notice is amended to a major works notice which has been accepted for a start date of 15th January 2016. We have requested to begin work earlier from the council, and are awaiting feedback.

So much for middle of December at the latest.

Rob. M

• Parish Councillors
« Reply #4 Posted: 13 Nov 2015, 14:56:50 »
The impression gleaned from the Boxcom guy who connected us recently is that this is currently being done on a house by house basis, providing the cables are in! Can understand  your frustration in West Street where work still needs doing. BT charges have also increased but Gigaclear still seems a tad less. We were having difficulty connecting our computers within the house and called Gigaclear. Within about half an hour Boxcom arrived saying our pot connection wasn't joined up but they had fixed that and offered to sort the PC's too. All running well with no further issues to date.   

diapason

« Reply #5 Posted: 16 Nov 2015, 17:34:28 »
Yes, connected and using Gigaclear as are some neighbours. Great for catch up TV without constant 'buffering' and getting online during peak demand when I used to struggle. Still need to investigate Vonage (telephone) before abandoning BT entirely.

I've had no problems with Vonage. When I first connected I had to reboot the phone (unplug and then plug in again) as callers couldn't hear our phone properly but then it was fine.

Rob. M

• Parish Councillors
« Reply #6 Posted: 16 Nov 2015, 18:30:15 »
Thanks for your encouraging Vonage user comment. Really must follow it up and leave BT. How did you go about getting Vonage. Guess it's simply a case of visiting their website that hopefully has all the answers! :)

Sparks

« Reply #7 Posted: 17 Nov 2015, 16:08:14 »
Another happy Gigaclear and Vonage customer here, been online with both for a couple of months. After minor missfires with initial connections both have been rock solid since. Glad to see the back of BT  :)  Sky next in the firing line!

diapason

« Reply #8 Posted: 18 Nov 2015, 10:41:07 »
Thanks for your encouraging Vonage user comment. Really must follow it up and leave BT. How did you go about getting Vonage. Guess it's simply a case of visiting their website that hopefully has all the answers! :)
Yes, they're very helpful. I had to wait for a while as I wanted to transfer my number from Plusnet. I think my initial problems might have been caused by my experimenting with "extensions" - connecting my mobile to the system.

HilaryB

• Snr. Member
« Reply #9 Posted: 19 Nov 2015, 14:36:34 »
In reply to Sparks and others; totally rely on BT Broadband for almost everything, being a bit of a cripple and we have never had a problem with BT buffering - internet connection on TV is fine, so have the 'Watch Again' service.  Have never had subscription TV, feel the TV Licence is plenty high enough anyway- have had Freesat for many years now, perfectly adequate for our needs - tons to watch and/or record; Freesat boxes have come down dramatically in price, one off purchase
and that's it! Have had no reason to knock BT, as most people seem to enjoy doing; their monthly charge is fair in my opnion, especially free phone calls.  But maybe we are easily satisfied in our dotage!!

Rob. M

• Parish Councillors
« Reply #10 Posted: 19 Nov 2015, 17:30:27 »
Hi Hilary - Nobody ever said that ultra-high speed internet would suit or is necessary for everyone but at least the village infrastructure is 'future proofed' for a long time now :)

HilaryB

• Snr. Member
« Reply #11 Posted: 20 Nov 2015, 17:56:15 »
To be fair, I haven't heard anyone giving rave reviews about the extra speed  :)  But I suppose if folk are downloading films etc., it is important to them!

david b

« Reply #12 Posted: 03 Dec 2015, 15:12:37 »
I'm really pleased with the upgrade. With more technical devices needing the internet, there is no drop in speed.

Russell Brown

• Global Moderator
    • Russell's Home Page
« Reply #13 Posted: 04 Dec 2015, 08:18:14 »
I'm only a stones throw from Hilary and, like her, my Olde Worlde copper broadband was as good as that technology gets (unlike most people in the village).

While it's certainly nice to be able to stream stuff without delays my primary reason for wanting real fibre is from the business perspective and the 1,000/1,000 Mbs service I'm now getting (vs 8/1Mbs on ADSL) means that I no longer have to consider relocating my company to somewhere with a 21st Century infrastructure.

As we in KAHSI have been saying all along; it's not only about the speed now but the speed in the future as the fibre now installed can provide almost infinite speeds which is not the case for the older copper based services like ADSL or BT Infinity.

Indeed to prove the point, Gigaclear have just announced a 5,000 Mbs service becoming available in January.

So there we go; I'm raving about it :) For me it's like going from candles to electric lights!

Peter Lloyd Bennett

« Reply #14 Posted: 13 Dec 2015, 20:39:15 »
Our experiences with gigaclear seem to chime with a few other people's, we paid to get connected back in the summer and then following the connection our house phone developed a fault. BT came out and told us gigaclear had sheared through part of the telephone cable and BT repaired it, since then the line has gone a bit crackly again and got fixed a second time but it seems to be a recurring fault. As people have said the price is going up, the phone line is problematic and still no sign of mega fast broadband!!