Author Topic: Kings Cliffe Active Updates  (Read 421 times)

SimFH

Kings Cliffe Active Updates
« Posted: 16 Aug 2015, 15:41:49 »
Kings Cliffe Active August Update
The Netball sessions on Monday nights from 7.30pm – 8.30pm on the car park court at Kings Cliffe Active have started and have attracted some excellent interest despite the holiday season.  They are growing in number every week and the interest is such that we are now trying to work out what we can do when the nights start to darken to maintain the activity rather than having to travel to Oundle.  Make friends with Kings Cliffe Netball on facebook for more information.  With this, the Soccercise fitness sessions and Bootcamp we have started to challenge the male ‘bias’ to sports activities on the site (although I am reminded that the Bootcamp is open to all!).  We’re also pleased to report that the RUSH Hockey sessions on Thursday nights (which has seen 4 new women participants in the last fortnight) and the 5-a-side Football on Friday nights also appear to have had good attendances of late (both 7.00pm – 8.00pm).
Funding applications have now been submitted to convert the garage at Kings Cliffe Active into a gym, with some additional applications to Northamptonshire Community Foundation and Big Lottery Awards for All to equip it, although there is still a little debate on what equipment to install in what is a nice, but quite small, space.  Users of the community room will see we already have two exercise machines which are part of a Surgery MidFrail Project (I am not sure if there will be an explanation of this elsewhere in the Gazette).  Hopefully they will only be in the community room temporarily. 
I have just seen that the East Northamptonshire Community Facilities Fund has reopened so, backed up by the excellent local interest generated in the idea of a gym, courtesy of Steve Julien on facebook (commenting that it’s been one of his best responses on facebook, thanks Steve) an application is also to be drafted to this source.
We will not know the result of the Tennis / Netball courts application for £75 000 from Sport England until late September, but in the meantime any Tennis players can join Apethorpe Tennis Club for a 25% discount for the rest of the season. 
The next new sport that I want to test at Kings Cliffe Active is Archery, and I am just awaiting responses from the local clubs that I approached.  That said, Underground have been introducing new activities at the site with Wacky Races and Zorbing amongst their fun summer activities. 
For up-to-date information on what is going on at Kings Cliffe Active make friends with us on facebook.  If you are interested in starting some new activity please do not hesitate to contact Margaret if you’re ready to make a booking (via www.kingscliffeactive.co.uk) or contact me, Simon Fairhall, on 07767 390516 or Simon.Fairhall@btinternet.com to discuss.

« Last Edit: 16 Aug 2015, 15:43:20 by SimFH »

SimFH

Re: Kings Cliffe Active Updates
« Reply #1 Posted: 16 Aug 2015, 15:43:56 »
July
Kings Cliffe Active developments

Further to last month’s report I am pleased to report that a new Netball group is due to start on Mondays, from 20th July 2015 7.30pm – 8.30pm at Kings Cliffe Active, with the support of some borrowed equipment, assistance from Northamptonshire Netball Development Officer, Kelly Walker, a new group of volunteers to make it happen (thank you) and a makeshift court marked on the car park.  Work is progressing on Tennis and hopefully also some activity imminently, before we lose the Wimbledon buzz – we are aiming for a Kings Cliffe night at a local club – so having to travel out of the village, but hopefully people will bear with us as it is necessary to demonstrate the clear local interest in the sport/club.  A funding application has now been submitted to Sport England to purchase our own equipment for the two sports, plus some Table Tennis equipment (including an outdoor table) and some petanque boules.

Family Rounders and Picnic courtesy of Underground is at Kings Cliffe Active on Sunday 22nd August 2.00pm – 4.00pm, see their website/facebook page for full details.  I am also pleased to report that Fairhurst’s Military Fitness has started on a Tuesday night from 7.30pm with I think it was 17 for the first night; whilst a women’s only Soccercise run by A Sporting Hand is planned for a 23rd July start, that’s Thursday evenings from 6.00pm – 7.00pm.  Not forgetting the ongoing activities, RUSH Hockey on Thursday evenings from 7.00pm – 8.00pm and football on Friday nights.  The Football season is I’m sure about to start (we’ve had at least a couple of weeks since the end of last season haven’t we!) so look out for all the Kings Cliffe United FC activities.

For up-to-date information on all that is happening, and to join the debate on how we can develop the activities and the site (currently on the need for a gym, indoors or out) please like us on facebook ‘Kings Cliffe Active’

Simon Fairhall 

SimFH

Re: Kings Cliffe Active Updates
« Reply #2 Posted: 16 Aug 2015, 15:44:39 »
June
Kings Cliffe Active developments
We have started to get better at sharing information on the Parish Forum and through facebook, both the Kings Cliffe Active pages and the Kings Cliffe Community ones (please do look these up and ‘Like’) but, with apologies, have been inconsistent in including information here.  So here is the latest update on the plans for the development of Tennis and Netball courts on the site.
We hosted a visit of East Northamptonshire Councillors the first Saturday morning of June – a grand bus tour of mostly the newly elected Councillors, and I think they went away impressed, having suggested that we need to promote ourselves better to the other villages in the area.  We have benefitted from a grant of £35,000 from ENC and have until March 2016 to use these funds.  Based on the progress of our other grant applications this might become quite tight! 
We have been deferred in our application for c£25,000 to Kings Cliffe Environmental Association (Augean landfill tax fund) until we know the outcome of our application to Sport England Inspired Facilities for £75,000.  Our re-submission to Sport England has just been made, our first attempt was unsuccessful in part because of the massive competition for funds, but primarily because we had not demonstrated sufficiently well the demand for Tennis and Netball courts.  We are therefore very pleased and grateful for the response on facebook to the appeal for expressions of interest and we think that we have enough interest for the establishment of a Kings Cliffe Netball group and the re-establishment of the Kings Cliffe Tennis Club.  Whilst to participate in the ‘proper’ versions of these games it will be necessary to travel out of the village we are now looking at purchasing relevant kit and equipment to enable some fun and adapted versions of these games to be played on the MUGA and the car park – so look out for details of a Kings Cliffe Tennis Swingball and Mini Tennis challenge.
We are also grateful for the support from the Endowed School with the children voting 77 for Tennis, 34 for Netball and just 1 for not interested in either and hope that they will become a regular user of all our facilities with school and extra-curricular sessions.  We have just started to make some enquiries regarding holiday sports camps that we might host at Kings Cliffe Active and also are approaching the many providers of dance, exercise classes, boot camps etc that we see out there in the hope that they could be attracted to set up sessions at our venue.  If there is something you would like to see at KCA please do make the suggestion – Table Tennis and Rounders are perhaps the next two activities to start this summer so watch out for details if these are of interest.
For more information see www.kingscliffeactive.co.uk and for bookings call Margaret Burton on 0843 289 6516 or email admin@kingscliffeactive.co.uk or to discuss the development of the site please contact Simon Fairhall simon.fairhall@btinternet.com 017767 390516