Author Topic: TKC Wildplaces - Flash Workparty. Railway Cutting Tuesday  (Read 492 times)

wildplaces

• Wildviews
  • Snr. Member
    • Wildviews natural history photography
TKC Wildplaces - Flash Workparty. Railway Cutting Tuesday
« Posted: 27 Apr 2015, 14:31:35 »
Hi all

Apologies if you've already seen this on Facebook, but I want to reach as many as possible this afternoon!

The railway cutting at the Kingsmead Estate end is, as you will doubtless be aware, a bit of a bog (to put it mildly...). Its basically not passable without a boat or waders which is a real shame as it makes the walk from Willow Lane to Kingsmead a dead end.

Some work has been done to clear a path round the bog, but it needs a bit more 'muscle' to finish it off.

Tomorrow, Tuesday 28th, I'll be up there from 10.30am to have another go and secure the route (sounds like trailblazing in the Congo rainforest!).
It would be great if a few others could make it.

I know its short notice and its a weekday, but you know its worth it :)

Please drop me note if you can come.

If you have them, please bring -
Loppers, pruning saw, bowsaw, shears, secateurs
Slasher , grass hook, sickle, etc
Bush cutter - please , if you have one.
Spade / Fork / rake
***Thick Gloves + Wellies ***

Park in the Kingsmead estate or KCA.
See you there?

Charles

wildplaces

• Wildviews
  • Snr. Member
TKC Wildplaces - Railway Cutting Workparty...
« Reply #1 Posted: 28 Apr 2015, 17:23:25 »
If you go down to the woods today (well the railway cutting anyway...)

Wildplaces first workparty hacked, dug, cut, and engineered a path round the bog in the cutting by Kingsmead this morning. One of the original railway drains was also excavated and there is now at least a remote chance of some of the water disappearing down a hole. Three small springs also now feed a (currently small) stream along the base of the cutting.

Well done Charles Atkinson, Barry Hurcombe, Rob Meadows and Bob Joanne-Hyde Gamble for being the inaugural workparty. Your names will be writ large in the annals of Kings Cliffe in the future history of the village.

You can now navigate the length of the cutting from Willow Lane to Kingsmead without a 4x4, and of course beyond to the railway bridge over Park Street, and on to Peterborough (well we can dream of course!)

Please please please do use the path and help to establish it through your boots and shoes wearing it down smile emoticon

There is more to do (of course) so watch this space. The path is fine, but the drainage may need more work or alternatively we may dig the stream out!!

Russell Brown

• Global Moderator
    • Russell's Home Page
Re: TKC Wildplaces - Flash Workparty. Railway Cutting Tuesday
« Reply #2 Posted: 29 Apr 2015, 08:05:03 »
Super job - well done everyone.

wildplaces

• Wildviews
  • Snr. Member
Re: TKC Wildplaces - Flash Workparty. Railway Cutting Tuesday
« Reply #3 Posted: 29 Apr 2015, 15:26:59 »
Agreed!
Hopefully only the first of many Wildplaces jobs Russell.

I'll be seeking permission from the PC soon for getting to grips with Maltings Green and The Horsewater too.

Watch this space :)