Author Topic: Wildplaces Activities  (Read 779 times)

wildplaces

• Wildviews
  • Snr. Member
    • Wildviews natural history photography
Wildplaces Activities
« Posted: 09 Apr 2015, 23:57:36 »
Do you love our local environment and want to help protect it for future generations?
Do you want to join in with some real community activities?

Transition Kings Cliffe is launching a new initiative - TKC Wildplaces - to look after and actively encourage the use and understanding of the wonderful natural environment on our doorstep.
Everyone is included in this:  villagers new and old, families and children, amateurs and experts!

The aim of the group is to secure, maintain and promote our Wildplaces, for the benefit of both the wildlife and for villagers' enjoyment now and into the future.
A 'Wildplace' is any area - including footpaths, roadside verges, meadows, woodland and ponds - which is accessible to the public, and which is beneficial to our wild flora and fauna.
Typically these are on Parish Council land or public footpaths, but we do have other areas in mind :). We will be sorting out the appropriate permissions to work in these areas!

This supports the 'sustainable community' aspects of the Transition movement, by promoting use of these special areas for health benefits, for education, and for building community.
This is particularly important in our rural environment, where the great outdoors is what a lot of villagers are here for!

In practical terms we're looking for people to get involved in all kinds of activities, e.g. -
* Litter picking
* Footpath clearance
* Pond, woodland and meadow management
* Habitat piles, nest boxes, bat boxes, bee houses etc.
* Tree planting
* Hedgelaying
* Signs and information leaflets
* Talks, guided walks and children's activities too!

The first activity is planned for 10th May, to clear the litter from Willow Walk, and also to have a look at the new Village Field, to talk about the provisions being made for wildlife. We'll be meeting at 10.30am at the bottom of Willow Lane.
We might drop into the club afterwards to talk about the general aims of the group and our initial thoughts and also some big ideas!

We are really keen to collect names and contacts for anyone who shares this interest.

If you'd like to be involved with any aspect of this, or just be kept informed about our events, activities and progress please leave a comment here or message me through the forum.

We also have a website at http://www.kingscliffe.org.uk/transition and, if you use Facebook, you can follow the Transition Kings Cliffe page.

kateib

Re: Wildplaces Activities
« Reply #1 Posted: 11 Apr 2015, 07:10:35 »
Count me in!  :)

clive ibotson

« Reply #2 Posted: 11 Apr 2015, 15:38:09 »
Count me out

wildplaces

• Wildviews
  • Snr. Member
« Reply #3 Posted: 14 Apr 2015, 09:15:43 »
I understand the club had a bit of a nightmare on Saturday night, and graffiti etc is being dealt with by local residents.
Needless to say this has nothing to do with the Wildplaces group!

Are you joining us on May 10th?

flossie

« Reply #4 Posted: 14 Apr 2015, 09:28:52 »
Sorry I have now moved the message. 
Yes hoping to join in on May 10th.

wildplaces

• Wildviews
  • Snr. Member
« Reply #5 Posted: 14 Apr 2015, 10:03:01 »
^-^

Peter Lloyd Bennett

« Reply #6 Posted: 26 May 2015, 13:27:40 »
Regarding the proposed rejuvenation of the pocket park area, my memory is that the area round the bench at the footbridge tends to collect a lot of litter and anything that discourages this should be welcomed. Cheers PLB