Author Topic: Anti dog fouling campaign  (Read 565 times)

rochja

Anti dog fouling campaign
« Posted: 03 Apr 2015, 08:43:12 »
Is the proliferation of pictures of dog turds on every lamppost, road sign and person who stands still too long a campaign by the parish council or a one person crusade? You would not target every muslim in the village with a message warning of the consequences of terrorism, so why is it acceptable to target every dog owner? Furthermore, what impression is this campaign creating in visitors? I can see the organisers of the womens' cycle event saying ' we cant ask the ladies to cycle through a village with such a reputation for excrement in the streets!' It is not even as if I have noticed the campaign making one iota of difference. Please, let us remove these offensive signs immediately
« Last Edit: 03 Apr 2015, 10:19:00 by rochja »

flossie

Re: Anti dog fouling campaign
« Reply #1 Posted: 03 Apr 2015, 10:31:42 »
Well I am very happy that someone is doing something about the dog s--- problem, if you had to clean it off a pushchair and shoes maybe you would feel different. Posters NOT enough start reporting the people that are not clearing up. I notice you say   "It is not even as if I have noticed the campaign making one iota of difference".
So you are admitting there is a problem, so what would you do?

HilaryB

• Snr. Member
« Reply #2 Posted: 05 Apr 2015, 18:26:15 »
When I was Parish Clerk, and many will back me up on this - roughly every two months I put something in the Gazette to try to resolve this problem - to no avail it would appear!  We asked for Dog Warden patrols, but that is a complex and expensive issue with ENC; we asked residents to report to the Clerk with names and photos if possible, of offenders - and nothing was ever forthcoming. All I ever received were moaning phone calls, most wishing to remain anonymous and not prepared to give names!   I wish anyone who thinks they can sort this problem out the very best of luck - the PC tried and failed!

rochja

« Reply #3 Posted: 05 Apr 2015, 19:43:38 »
I suspect the problem lies with those who think walking a dog involves a bicycle or running shorts and ear phones and those who think it is enough to pack the dog off with someone who stands the same height at the shoulder. We raised 5 kids so we are fully aware of all the problems involved in child rearing and know the solutions do not involve fly posting. I wonder if the solution involves strategically placed motion activated webcams. However, I can see they might not capture the right motions. Information in the village mag about places where fouling is allowable might help: There is exemption for dog owners on some kinds of public land, including:

Land used for agriculture or woodlands
Rural common land
Land that is predominantly marshland, moor or heath
Highways with a speed limit of 50mph or more

Who knows? We might get offenders to agree to exercise their dogs on the fast lane of the A1.

PS I know there is no such thing as a fast lane. There does not need to be for the injection of humour.
« Last Edit: 05 Apr 2015, 19:46:57 by rochja »

rochja

« Reply #4 Posted: 05 Apr 2015, 19:59:02 »
If you would like a left field suggestion for a solution how about the allotment association take up vermiculture and collect poop in newspaper to feed the worms? Just don't use the fertiliser on food crops. Then the lazy amongst us can sleep easy knowing the poop brigade will make a daily collection; and nobody need ever fall out again - or indeed fall in
« Last Edit: 05 Apr 2015, 20:17:17 by rochja »

Stop moaning

« Reply #5 Posted: 09 Apr 2015, 11:01:20 »
I think it has been great campaign I haven't stepped in a turd for months the school run is now a pleasure.
There were turds on West Street is big as mountains I can only think that the Kings Cliffe Labour stronghold were allowing there dogs to crap on the Conservative area of the village. But dont worry im sure the Greens will use them for composting. The only question is what has happened to all those turds ? I can only assume that UKIP have been throwing them.

Rob. M

• Parish Councillors
« Reply #6 Posted: 09 Apr 2015, 17:23:11 »
Park Street cleanliness has also improved with the poster campaign. I was told that a public spirited resident produced and posted the flyers - thanks who ever you are. I'll take posters striving to counter this problem instead of turds. Many villages face this difficulty. While reading PC minutes elsewhere about the same problem I had unknowingly stood in grass hidden dog shit. KCPC have constantly encouraged dog owners to pick-up while the Village Plan group have ordered more dog-poo bins. It is an offence to leave dog-poo on designated public spaces including countryside and forest paths. As for posters giving a bad impression of the village, would visitors prefer the unhygenic impressions left on their footwear and buggy wheels?