Author Topic: Village Field £100 000  (Read 1548 times)

SimFH

Village Field £100 000
« Posted: 11 Jan 2015, 17:50:45 »
Parish Council December meeting minutes
14/172: Village Field
It was agreed that work will commence on the Village Field in the Spring following approval of a grant of £40,000 from the Community Facilities Fund. Councillor Glithero stated that the application for a further grant of £60,000 is likely to be approved at a Full Council Meeting that he will be attending on 15/12/14.

What is the Parish Council spending £100 000 on?  Anyone know?

Russell Brown

• Global Moderator
    • Russell's Home Page
Re: Village Field £100 000
« Reply #1 Posted: 12 Jan 2015, 09:40:16 »
Roughly speaking...

Drainage for the site (it's extremely boggy in many areas).
Fencing around the perimeter.
Entrance Gates.
Hard standing for the entrance and some parking.
Footpath and repairs to Willow Lane so everyone can get to the field.

For anyone not aware, the Village field is the area between the disused railway line and the Millenium Wood (the field on the other side of Willow Lane to KCA). It was transferred (with covenants restricting its use to open space) to the Parish Council as part of the Section 106 agreement for Sovereign Grange as an amenity for the village.

It's the PC's intention that this amenity complements KCA by providing a large, open, informal and unstructured space for both events and individual villagers use.

Stop moaning

« Reply #2 Posted: 12 Jan 2015, 10:42:40 »
Lets hope the tender process for the works is fair with a proper tender document and manegment of the project

HilaryB

• Snr. Member
« Reply #3 Posted: 12 Jan 2015, 16:37:31 »
Be assured that the Parish Council will deal witht this matter totally correctly and efficiently!  They are rarely given credit for all the work they do for the Parish behind the scenes; I believe many people think it all happens by magic - it actually takes a great deal of time and
 hard work by Councillors and the Clerk!

Rob. M

• Parish Councillors
« Reply #4 Posted: 13 Jan 2015, 10:14:11 »
Seeking an answer via the Freedom of Information is unecessary as the info. is already in the public domain. All are welcome to attend Parish Council meetings as observers and to speak and ask questions with prior notice. Nobody is being excluded or 'being kept in the dark'! The village field project is in hand, securing the funds has taken time and there is much preparatory work needed to make the field useable and safe. As a part of this project the PC are striving to improve/adopt Willow Lane. Drainage tenders were sought in accordance with normal practice.

wildplaces

• Wildviews
  • Snr. Member
    • Wildviews natural history photography
« Reply #5 Posted: 15 Jan 2015, 14:28:58 »
As Hilary points out, the Parish Councillors do a huge amount of work for the village, and of course all unpaid.
I'm very impressed that they have secured this amount of funding, and personally I think the development of the village field is an excellent project. I for one will certainly make use of it, and with the close proximity of the Millenium Wood this should help enormously with the biodiversity of the area.
We are a growing village and the more free space we have, secure from development, the better IMHO!

SimFH

« Reply #6 Posted: 15 Jan 2015, 17:21:39 »
Rob M
FoI request because KCPC meeting minutes (below) less than clear on what was actually going to be happening on the Village Field and email request for information unanswered

11th December 2014
It was agreed that work will commence on the Village Field in the Spring following approval of a grant of £40,000 from the Community Facilities Fund. Councillor Glithero stated that the application for a further grant of £60,000 is likely to be approved at a Full Council Meeting that he will be attending on 15/12/14.

13th November 2014
14/152: Any Other Business
The Chairman gave an update on the Community Facilities Fund Grant Application for the Village Field and it was agreed that the Clerk will sign the Grant Agreement. The application for a further grant will be discussed at a Full Meeting of the Council in December 2014.

11th September 2014
 14/097 : Matters arising
Our grant claim for money for the Village Field has gone through to the final stages; the offer will be £40,000. 00 if we are successful; we are also applying formally for the money due from the Section 106 agreement for the Sovereign Grange development. The key is to have £100,000. We should know by 6th October. The need for planning permission for this work has been questioned. We do not need permission for the works proposed.

10th July 2015 (ed: 2014)
14/065 : Village Field : Update
Councillor Brown has a draft of the ideas and the necessary quotes to complete Phase 2 of the process for obtaining a grant. He will complete the forms which need to be at ENC by 12 noon on 21st July 2014.

12th June 2014
14/040 Village Field : Update
Councillors Brown and Day have obtained quotes for the work required to bring the Village Field into use. ENC have stated that we have come through Phase 1 of the CCF Grants process and will be informed that we wish to proceed to Stage 2. The main areas which need improvement are:- Land drainage, fencing, parking areas and an improved entrance to the field.

8th May 2014
14/018 Village Field : Update
ENC have informed the PC that the decision dates for the grant applied for had been put back until the end of this month or early June.

10th April 2014
13/215 : Chairman’s Annual Report
There is also a dispute with the developers regarding a footpath from the estate into Willow Lane; we are in discussion regarding this matter. For this cause, we are looking to obtain ownership of part of Willow Lane to allow this to be completed to give access to the Village Field and to Kings Cliffe Active from the lane.
The Village Field is adjacent to the Millennium Wood in Willow Lane; we feel this will be akin to a park, for all informal leisure activities; we are applying for a grant to bring this into use as soon as possible. As it is immediately opposite the KCA entrance, this will be a bonus to all parties.

[Ed: changed 2015 to 2014 after a forum user PM'd  me pointing out the error]
« Last Edit: 19 Jan 2015, 08:40:03 by Russell Brown »

Russell Brown

• Global Moderator
    • Russell's Home Page
« Reply #7 Posted: 15 Jan 2015, 17:31:13 »
Being involved in the whole village field thing; I'm, hopefully!, more up to speed than most but from reading those extracts from the minutes it all seems pretty clear to me what's being planned.

What's unclear Simon?

SimFH

« Reply #8 Posted: 15 Jan 2015, 18:06:48 »
Russell, my interpretation of the minutes below.  Going back further into the KCPC minutes there's mention of cricket, informal football kick about, cycling.  I seem to remember something about riding long ago (yes I do regularly read the minutes).  So lots of ideas, some points about improvement but no clarity on actually what was going to happen and that is all I asked.

11th December 2014
Information about grants

13th November 2014
14/152: Any Other Business
Information about grant application progress

11th September 2014
 14/097 : Matters arising
Information about progress of grant applications.
Note that planning permission not required

10th July 2015 [ed: should read 2014]
14/065 : Village Field : Update
Cllr Brown (you!)  mention of a draft of ideas, and that you were completing application

12th June 2014
14/040 Village Field : Update
The main areas which need improvement are:- Land drainage, fencing, parking areas and an improved entrance to the field.

8th May 2014
14/018 Village Field : Update
Grant process timings

10th April 2014
13/215 : Chairman’s Annual Report
Ownership issues.  Plan to have a park.

[Ed: changed 2015 to 2014 after a forum user PM'd me pointing out the error]
« Last Edit: 19 Jan 2015, 08:42:36 by Russell Brown »

SimFH

« Reply #9 Posted: 15 Jan 2015, 18:08:11 »
Wildviews, please don't get me wrong, very happy to see the establishment of the Village Field (Cambridge University study published today - 20 minutes walk a day great for life expectancy; Village Field ideal for this).  It's just I think we are missing an opportunity.

Could we have accommodated a new Cricket pitch (I gather a previous name for the field) for the Club to play in the village.  This could come as a second phase in time of courses after planned grounds improvement is completed.

How about the request from the Cycling Club (13th March 2014) to have a cycle track?  Were they contacted to say the project was progressing and would they like to submit their ideas, or was it left to them to follow progress of this project through reading Parish Council meeting minutes.  Cycle track could also be path for walking.

I don’t think either of these would be counter to open space covenant.

£100 000 is a lot of money, but do we really need to have hard standing:
1.   There’s plenty of parking space a very short walk away at Kings Cliffe Active, and if you’re coming up for a walk round the Village Field or to do some recreational activity then a couple of hundred extra yards walk shouldn’t be an issue
2.   Quite like the idea of improving Willow Lane but are we really wanting to encourage people to drive up to the Village Field.  I gather planning permission for all these developments not required – do the residents on Willow Lane know this; is it not required for building car parks, sorry hard standing?  Also not sure of the biodiversity benefits of this part of the plans, and doesn’t fit with transition thinking or Village Plan priorities does it – driving around the village?

Couple of extra points.

What’s the insurance and ongoing grass cutting costs of this development?  Has this been budgeted for?  Is there an opportunity for economies of scale by an arrangement on insurance with KCA (covering Sovereign Grange play area too)?  Is grass cutting a service KCA can deliver which would be good income opportunity for the charity?

KCA had to put anti-adder fencing in because of importance of the disused railway line as a site of national importance I understand for these reptiles.  Cost wise good job we’ve avoided this!

And of course, yes I am disappointed that my efforts at securing funding for Tennis / Netball courts at KCA  are not as (apparently) simple as KCPC securing these monies for the Village Field – I’m a volunteer too.  And, for KCA £35 000 from East Northants we will have to deliver a Tennis Club, Netball Club, recreational play participation, junior sections – what are the performance measures for their £40 000 grant?  For information we await the outcome of Sport England and KCEA applications and if either of these fail the Tennis / Netball development won’t go ahead. 

wildplaces

• Wildviews
  • Snr. Member
    • Wildviews natural history photography
« Reply #10 Posted: 16 Jan 2015, 11:05:33 »
Simon

The development of the KCA site is of course of huge benefit to the village and naturally I am supporter of increased facilities of appropriate size and focus for local usage.

I do have a concern that KCA could ultimately turn onto a regional sports centre which I don't believe would be in keeping with what is still a close knit rural community. Do we want to provide all sports for all people (I've heard word of development for Cricket, Tennis, Netball and a Bowling Green...), and what implication then for traffic on Wood Road, Bridge Street, Park Street and Station Road? I'm sure the residents of those roads would have something to say.

The village field is sited ideally for an extension to the wildlife/natural area, with the railway line and woodland each side and, on top of the '20 minute walk' benefits you quote, it will also provide a superb site for outdoor studies for the new school - being only a short walk from their site, of course using the improved Willow Lane. The addition of a close mown cricket pitch would not help in this respect.

The Parish Council is run by and for the village and anyone who lives here can get involved and put their views at the monthly meetings (I have done so myself). I feel that you are suggesting some kind of underhand process where local people are not listened to, which I think is entirely unfair and unfounded.
I believe PC elections are due this year and I hope we have people from Sovereign Grange standing to widen the representation. If you are in the Ward then of course you can stand yourself.

£100,000 is a lot of money, but is a small sum compared to KCA funding  (£1,400,000 to date?). My view is that this is an excellent investment in the protection of the village environment, and containment of the development belt which we are all aware is growing all too rapidly.

This is a village - let us not lose sight of that.
« Last Edit: 16 Jan 2015, 13:49:41 by wildviews »

SimFH

« Reply #11 Posted: 16 Jan 2015, 19:21:58 »
Wildviews.  Agree, KCA will never be a regional sports centre / should be an appropriate sized development.  But that's not the purpose of this thread.

Re: "I feel that you are suggesting some kind of underhand process where local people are not listened to, which I think is entirely unfair and unfounded." 
No.  The Parish Council regularly records spend to the Pence within a small turnover.  Which is in stark contrast to this £100 000 investment, and think that there has been too little consultation - just being an item on the agenda does not invite views / Parish Council meeting attendance / represent consultation.  I absolutely agree the principle, especially the belt to prevent future development but not all elements (car park) and think there are some missed opportunities (my last lengthy post)

mgd

• Parish Councillors
« Reply #12 Posted: 17 Jan 2015, 11:19:14 »
I believe it is worth pointing out that the PC owns both the land and buildings at KCA and the Village field. The PC has leased the site which is now run by KCA for fifty odd years. The Village field is run solely by the PC and they have decided to fence, drain, put in a hard surface for a few cars and upgrade Willow Lane.
As far as working together the PC employed KCA to cut the new Cemetery last year, which they did for two or three months, then without any discussion with the PC they informed them that could no longer continue with this work. The PC had to find new contractor at very short notice. It would seem to me that SimFH has a very short memory! The PC also informed KCA that we would be looking for a contractor to mow Sovereign Grange when it is handed over to the PC. I would suggest this would have been a good source of income for KCA together with the new cemetery.
I would also suggest that the PC always makes sure they are budgeted and affordable before commencing any works.

SimFH

« Reply #13 Posted: 17 Jan 2015, 19:29:22 »
Not challenging the KCPC budgeting, or affordability – you’ve been GIVEN £100 000.  Just firstly a simple question what are you doing with the Village Field because I didn’t feel that this was clear from KCPC minutes, and then after a series of long posts from me yes whether there’s been enough consultation on what you’re doing with the Village Field, and whether you’re doing the best thing (my personal view).  An answer these points?

SimFH

« Reply #14 Posted: 17 Jan 2015, 19:39:33 »
KCA developed by a group of volunteers (not me) and vested in the ownership of the Parish Council I understand, not developed by KCPC.

And the contract for the Cemetery work was?

Offer a contract for Cemetery, Sovereign Grange and Village Field and we'll consider its value - it seems we're all agreed that it's potentially a good opportunity for the charity, albeit noting that we likewise operate by the generosity of volunteers.