Author Topic: Willow Lane - Private Property Signs  (Read 1743 times)

Mike

Willow Lane - Private Property Signs
« Posted: 12 Oct 2014, 19:16:38 »
Hi,

I noticed tonight that the gate at the top of Willow Lane now has a sign on saying private property and threatening to take anyone who trespasses to court. I know this isn't an official right of way and that the land owner is entitled to post such signs but it seems a shame that the track up to the back of Fineshade Woods is now out of bounds.

Mike

kateib

Re: Willow Lane - Private Property Signs
« Reply #1 Posted: 13 Oct 2014, 05:13:47 »
Mass trespass on willow lane! Walkers unite

auvergne63

« Reply #2 Posted: 15 Oct 2014, 11:01:49 »
Oh what a shame!  Just been to Derbyshire area, where it's very much 'keep off my land' and was extolling the virtues of around here and how easy it is to strike out everywhere.  As if a few walkers if going to harm this person's land.  Shame on them!

Stop moaning

« Reply #3 Posted: 15 Oct 2014, 21:29:52 »
Of you tear them off look whats under the poster
Hope theres a picture attached

Stop moaning

« Reply #4 Posted: 15 Oct 2014, 21:32:28 »
Naughty Naughty think it maybe an offence to deface footpath signs got it on camera will call the footpath police .
They will come and kick your ass.

mygodeager

« Reply #5 Posted: 15 Oct 2014, 22:57:29 »
You must be joking!!!!
Never heard of the footpath police  are they a division of the security service?

Rob. M

• Parish Councillors
« Reply #6 Posted: 18 Oct 2014, 17:28:24 »
Hi, Where exactly is the notice in question? Tied as a carer just now and unable to explore. Accurate location description, Map ref., GPS ref. and/or more general landscape view photo. would help. Is there more than one notice? Obscuring the Public Right of Way (ROW) markers is enough for a complaint to NCC. Anyone know who posted the sign? Rob. 01780 470239 (KCPC Footpath Warden)

Rob. M

• Parish Councillors
« Reply #7 Posted: 29 Oct 2014, 18:40:16 »
‘The Riddle of the Signs’ - Solved!

A villager has phoned to say that he felt partly responsible for the sudden appearance of the ‘private property’ signs. Evidently when out jogging with friends near Buxton Wood they were stopped by a tractor driver who told them that they were on private land. In the ensuing chat the runners pointed out that were no signs to say that the land was private, whereupon the farmer said he would put up some signs!

The arable land surrounding the Old Beech Tree is privately owned by Howard Farms Ltd,  West Hay Farm  (01780 444714). Traditionally most farmers are understanding when it comes to the occasional villager walking around their land. But this is their workplace and it is not difficult to appreciate that a sudden increase in riders, bikers, joggers or walkers with/without uncontrolled dogs, might prove too much. Of course this isn’t helped when housing developers tempt possible buyers with idyllic sales images of bees, butterflies and the countryside, suggesting all such delights are freely available to every new country dweller!

From its junction with the Jurassic Way, the Public Footpath beside Buxton Wood borders its NW edge, until the corner of Buxton Wood where the footpath strikes left, diagonally across the field and through a hedge gap ahead. Advice to footpath users is to always stick to the route of a Public Right of Way (ROW) whether Footpath or Bridleway; having first ensured that you know where it goes! Exceptions aside, landowners mostly prefer footpath users to keep to a ROW that crosses their land instead of following the field edge. However it is often difficult to follow pathways across fields if there is no crop aisle to show the route; maps are advisable. When the village footpath walking group existed and a walk required crossing private land, a courtesy phone call to the farmer always brought helpful results.

auvergne63

« Reply #8 Posted: 29 Oct 2014, 19:25:35 »
That's great to have clarification and understandable if the farmer is worried about a mass influx of people and dogs on his land.

As a 'new country dweller' I would just like to say that the property developer did not put forward any sales images of bucolic beauty to tempt us to move here.  One of the reasons for moving to such a lovely village was for the perceived feeling of community after being a 'head down, keep yourself to yourself' city dweller. 

Many of us on the new estate (or Legoland as some of those from the old village call it) look forward to the time when we will not feel like intruders - even the Village Plan mentions the 'them and us' attitude.

Rob. M

• Parish Councillors
« Reply #9 Posted: 29 Oct 2014, 23:20:12 »
As a 'new country dweller' I would just like to say that the property developer did not put forward any sales images of bucolic beauty to tempt us to move here.

Merely recalling some original sales material. Had I been their ad. man may have done likewise! Good to have you in the village and using the Forum :)   

Stop moaning

« Reply #10 Posted: 31 Oct 2014, 19:17:10 »
The farmer is clearly a compleat muppet putting private signs over public rights of way signs when there is clearly a right of way as for willow lane don't be quiet so sure that this is not a right of way.

kateib

« Reply #11 Posted: 31 Oct 2014, 22:31:11 »
We have been very lucky, for a very long time, to have been able to walk Willow Lane as far as the Beech Tree, and beyond to join Fineshade Wood. Hopefully we will be able to carry on doing so at some point without the need to put someones head on a pike. There are other equally well sought out footpaths to enjoy from the village, thats one of the beauties of living here!

wildplaces

• Wildviews
  • Snr. Member
    • Wildviews natural history photography
« Reply #12 Posted: 31 Oct 2014, 22:52:17 »
We have been very lucky, for a very long time, to have been able to walk Willow Lane as far as the Beech Tree, and beyond to join Fineshade Wood. Hopefully we will be able to carry on doing so at some point without the need to put someones head on a pike. There are other equally well sought out footpaths to enjoy from the village, thats one of the beauties of living here!

Couldn't agree more. That most of the landowners around the village are content for the occasional walkers to use their private land is, in my view, brilliant but not to be taken for granted!
That some are not happy to do so must not be held against them - how would we all like to open up our gardens to any passing visitor ?

We do have a multitude of footpaths in the area, many joining up to create different routes through the various environments we have, and I hope to find them all next year  8)

Add to this the Horsewater, Willowbrook, disused railway line, two SSSI sites, plus all the different woodlands, Wansford meadow, and of course the Fineshade/Wakerley woods complex and you have to agree we really are incredibly lucky here!

Let's make the most of what we do have ;)

Stop moaning

« Reply #13 Posted: 01 Nov 2014, 10:16:33 »
I think some people are soft in the head.  It is nothing to do with luck there is a right of way that has been deliberately had its signs concealed by the landowner. You would be pissed off if you had to take a massive detour due to this misdirection by the landowner.
"Lets make the most of what we do have" we have this footpath lets not give it up. As for willow lane or Dog S*&t alley as i like to call it  who says its not  right of way who actualy owns it when it floods nobody owns it ?

clive ibotson

« Reply #14 Posted: 01 Nov 2014, 17:21:57 »
Go on farmsubsidy.org and type in kings cliffe,if I was getting those payments anyone could walk over my garden