Author Topic: How bad is our current broadband?  (Read 647 times)

Russell Brown

• Global Moderator
    • Russell's Home Page
How bad is our current broadband?
« Posted: 08 Sep 2014, 11:43:27 »
In KAHSI, we've heard a few people say that the current broadband is OK for their current needs. While that's obviously true for the individuals that said it, it does beg the question of "How much worse does it need to get before it's not OK?".

Predicting the future is always tricky but if you look at the current performance and compare it with other communities it does show that the current position isn't good and as it gets worse we'll fall even further behind.

Here's a graph showing the response time on what I'd consider a good Internet connection (it's inside a data centre) over the last 30 hours. It's a nice stable green line with very little variation.

The next graph is taken from a normal domestic ADSL broadband line in Werrington, Peterborough.

That's pretty good (although if it was my line I'd be asking BT to check out the wiring as there's a bit of lost data from time to time).

The average is 12mS and the worst 16mS.

Lets look at a BT broadband in Kings Cliffe over the same timeframe.

The average is 34mS (12mS for the line in Werrington) and the worst 83mS (16mS in Werrington).

That's pretty awful and shows what I'd consider a heavily loaded line that was struggling to maintain a decent service. In fact this broadband is very lightly loaded (it's used for a specific purpose a handful of times each day that generates hardly any traffic).

The average is three times worse than an equivalent broadband in Peterborough. and when the going gets a bit tougher it's five times worse!  :o

What's it going to look like when the rest of Sovereign Grange is finished and online, the building plot behind Sovereign Grange has a load more houses on it and half the Middle School site is developed for housing?

I might not be able to predict the future but with no BT update plans for Kings Cliffe's broadband until at least 2019, it's not hard to see which way the wind's blowing :(

CakeBaker

Re: How bad is our current broadband?
« Reply #1 Posted: 10 Sep 2014, 06:42:22 »
Translated into my real life experience that means for home use intermittent internet access which sometimes fails and is often slow. From 4pm on weekdays when people start returning home having collected the kids from school and pretty much consistently at weekends, this is the period when it just slows right down. Mail connections can be irregular and any Video calls can have intense pixelation along with frequent drop outs.

If you work from home you can expect inconsistent connections to your work mail systems, instant messaging connections can be intermittent and video conferencing is pretty much non existent. I had to bin using a Voice over IP service (this uses technology to route voice calls over your internet connection and historically has allowed for much cheaper calls than via BT) because the network issues were so severe.

Lewismrl

« Reply #2 Posted: 26 Oct 2014, 08:47:14 »
I've signed up to Gigaclear anyway as the BT price hike and bad customer service was enough. However I find the difference in speeds interesting as my BT broadband connection here is perfectly acceptable (to me) and is significantly faster than the one available to me when living in Peterborough few years ago.

Download speed here in the village is 6.97mbps where as I could only get 2.9 in P'boro (both standard phone line). Seems BT have a much to answer for in inconsistency of service through the village as much as anything else.

« Last Edit: 26 Oct 2014, 08:47:52 by Lewismrl »

PhilT

« Reply #3 Posted: 26 Oct 2014, 09:24:00 »
You're doing well to get 6.97 on ye olde ADSL1 connection but Sunday morning after a clock change is a good time for maximum speeds  :)

Russell's point in the OP is about the variability and congestion that occurs on the KC exchange, which is fed via Wansford and hasn't had any of the upgrades seen elsewhere.

Most of KC should connect at 6M or more but it's easy to mess that up with bad wiring and inadequate filtering in the home. A 10M link can be snuffed to 2M if you mess it up. Despite getting the 6M connection you may experience poor peak time throughputs and this seems to be common to all ISPs - suggesting a constraint in the onward connection. This makes sense as a single 155M connection carries all traffic and is shared by all ISP.

The BT Wholesale speed checker does have a Phase 3 test that is independent of ISP, for people getting a low peak time speed. You have to be a bit techie to use it and change your router login, but the results are stored in BT's line records and help your case if performance is poor or deteriorates.

I have seen similar issues in Castor where a rock solid maximum 8128 connection delivered no more than 2M on Talk Talk but leapt to 6M on switching to BT. Castor also has the 1st generation ADSL kit like KC. I'm on the Wansford exchange, 2.5km line length :-

« Last Edit: 26 Oct 2014, 09:40:19 by PhilT »