Author Topic: Website for KAHSI (Kings Cliffe & Apethorpe High Speed Internet) launched  (Read 4030 times)

Russell Brown

• Global Moderator
    • Russell's Home Page
After the Gigaclear presentation in early August about our chance to get High Speed Real-Fibre Broadband for Kings Cliffe & Apethorpe, there's been feverish amounts of work going on behind the scenes.

A working group of the Kings Cliffe Parish Council and Apethorpe's Village Meeting has been formed; appropriately named KAHSI (Kings Cliffe & Apethorpe High Speed Internet).

A letter to every resident in both Villages outlining the project will be dropping through letterboxes over the next couple of days and more information will be sent out from KAHSI over the forthcoming weeks.

KAHSI have created their own website kahsi.kingscliffe.net which goes into more depth and provides the answers to all of your questions (hopefully!).

Please take the time to have a read of the KAHSI Website and then sign up to secure our villages' place on the Information Superhighway.

Remember we need 30% of the combined villages to sign up if this exciting project is to go ahead. Please don't 'sit on the fence'; if we spurn this opportunity it won't come our way again for decades.

By all means follow up to this thread or you can contact the KAHSI team directly: kahsi@kingscliffe.net.

« Last Edit: 01 Nov 2014, 10:09:43 by Russell Brown »

wildplaces

• Wildviews
  • Snr. Member
    • Wildviews natural history photography
PS if you're one of the 30% who sign up first, you will get six months of extra speed for free!
If you sign up for 50mbs, you'll get 100mbs.

So don't wait too long!!

You can also run away from BT's 6.5% December price rise.....

wildplaces

• Wildviews
  • Snr. Member
All - note Gigaclear have updated their website with more FAQs, and a much clearer signup process. We lost connection to it for a short while on Friday evening, when they switched over, but (touch wood) it's running okay now.

The signup link from www.kahsi.kingscliffe.net will get you there.

Russell Brown

• Global Moderator
    • Russell's Home Page
There was a break in service this morning on the KAHSI website. This was down to a power supply going Phut! on the server running the site.

It was moved over to another server but the change will have taken some time to propogate around the world's name servers so some folk might not have been able to get at  it for a while.

Sorry about that.

Now if we had decent broadband in the village I'd host my own servers here instead of in Germany :)

Rob. M

• Parish Councillors
Hi Speed gurus!

The final bit of the handy KAHSI website states:

1 KAHSI: Kings Cliffe & Apethorpe High Speed Internet; a working-group of Kings Cliffe Parish Council and Apethorpe Parish Meeting. We are not Gigaclear. We are a group of local people who believe this is an important opportunity for both villages.

Wish to suggest that this, and especially the final two sentences are given greater emphasis as several residents still appear to think that you are employed by Gigaclear.

Question: Someone asked me, what if I have Youview for watching and recording TV programs, can my Youview box be used with Gigaclear? Perhaps the Youview box is no longer needed with Gigaclear other than for recording?

wildplaces

• Wildviews
  • Snr. Member
Thanks for this Rob - we have had one or two comments about our relationship with Gigaclear, and trying hard to explain our separation.

On your other point, I too have a youview box.
You will certainly be able to continue using the youview box in the same way, and the dreaded 'buffering' should disappear when watching catchup TV. The exception maybe be the BBC IPlayer, where there is currently a systems issue at the BBC end :(.  The connection will be the same - either by WiFi or by Ethernet/network over power, whichever the user currently have.

The Gigaclear router will effectively do what any other WiFi router does, and will provide the same connections....

You'll still need the box for recording!

Charles

Rob. M

• Parish Councillors
Hi Charles,

Thanks for prompt answer about using Youview with Gigaclear. Do you know if the Youview box becomes the subscribers property upon expiry of the contract? I think the questioner believes that they will be able to keep it and that it will continue to work normally. 

Russell Brown

• Global Moderator
    • Russell's Home Page
Youview is not tied to any particular ISP and it'll certainly work very well on a Gigaclear connection.

Note: there's a difference between Youview and BT Vision (although it's  fundamentally the same system based on a Humax device). BT Vision may dictate a BT broadband but I'd assume that the broadcast element (Freeview) wouldn't be effected by the ISP.

I guess someone with a BT-Vision box either needs to ask BT or try plugging a BT-Vision box into a non-BT broadband to see if it still works.

Of course, this might be academic as the on-line elements (IPlayer etc) of BT-Vision, Youview or any other Smart-TV device will only work with an adequate broadband service.... and we're all heading towards having less than that unless we can get the Gigaclear project into the village.
« Last Edit: 04 Sep 2014, 07:36:51 by Russell Brown »

Rob. M

• Parish Councillors
Thanks for explaining Youview type thingys used with Gigaclear.

and we're all heading towards having less than that unless we can get the Gigaclear project into the village.

Seems crucial to get hi-speed broadband into the village to secure our online future. Hope folk realise this and don't leave it to others, or wait until its here before signing up to Gigaclear. Computery son informs me that although many people may not have problems now the situation is changing and the crunch will come in 2-3 years if they don't upgrade. Better to act now. 'The converted' could tell their wavering friends this via the traditional 'Cliffe verbal grapevine as this rarely seems to break down!:)) Delighted that KC Village Hall Committee have opted to sign the hall up for Gigaclear, this should help Underground and other hirers. Wonder if the Club and KC Active have joined Gigaclear?

Russell Brown

• Global Moderator
    • Russell's Home Page
The Club has signed up (and been most helpful spreading the word). Don't know about KCA.

BTW - we ticked over 35% of target this morning   ;D

Please keep spreading the word.
« Last Edit: 04 Sep 2014, 10:06:08 by Russell Brown »

PhilT

I was looking at the Superfast Northants delivery map for another reason, and noted it says "Existing and planned commercial coverage of superfast broadband in parts of this area by 2017" for Kings Cliffe.

http://superfastnorthamptonshire.net/deployment-map-when-where/

wildplaces

• Wildviews
  • Snr. Member
I can't see from the info on that site which suppliers may be in that consideration and I suspect that the 'Kings Cliffe by 2017' presumption is actually based on the Gigaclear project anyway - as they are a preferred supplier for the ENC programme.

We have heard from an 'inside source' that BTs own plans suggest they will not consider our area until at least 2019....

Charles

PhilT

May well be Gigaclear, slightly surprised they got it on so quick.

Russell Brown

• Global Moderator
    • Russell's Home Page
Well.... Ian Achurch (Head of Development, Infrastructure and Funding, NCC) did write to each of the 'Gigaclear' parishes on the 27th July saying

[Gigaclear...] This is good news for your parish because there were no commercial plans by any supplier, large or small, to deliver broadband in your area. Also there are no plans for your area through the County Council?s current subsidised programme with BT.

So it does indeed look like NCC are assuming we're going to get Gigaclear and they can tick us off their list at no cost to themselves.

The letter is quoted verbatim here.
« Last Edit: 08 Sep 2014, 11:06:17 by Russell Brown »

Russell Brown

• Global Moderator
    • Russell's Home Page
As of today, we're at 63% of target :)

Thanks to everyone who's helped so far but please don't let up now we're in the last stages.

Please talk to your friends and neighbours, ask them bluntly if they've signed up and if they haven't why not?  Please feed back any negatives to kahsi@kingscliffe.net so we have a chance of addressing them.