Author Topic: Value of the Forum  (Read 1065 times)

SimFH

Value of the Forum
« Posted: 13 Jun 2014, 19:28:50 »
Just got a reminder email 'come back to the Forum'.  Which I have, to find not much activity last I visited.  I think the idea of the Forum excellent, some interesting discussions.  But it appears to be struggling - we need a revamp?  Or some controversy!  Has Facebook overtaken the Forum?  I certainly think we need fewer separate sections, because non-sporty people for example will never look at debates within the sporty section, even if it is more healthy physical activity than sport issues.  What do others think?  I'll try to post something controversial!

wildplaces

• Wildviews
  • Snr. Member
    • Wildviews natural history photography
Re: Value of the Forum
« Reply #1 Posted: 13 Jun 2014, 19:45:45 »
I think the forum should be very valuable but it's desperately underused - which creates a circle of apathy :)

With the new influx of villagers it should be much better used.

Perhaps it could be promoted via the gazette, and on posters in the club, crosskeys, KCA, underground etc?

Who 'owns' the forum?

Russell Brown

• Global Moderator
    • Russell's Home Page
« Reply #2 Posted: 15 Jun 2014, 08:32:40 »
Err.... that'll be me  :-\

I put the forum together just after I joined the PC as a facility for the village.

Any ideas to increase the use of the forum gratefully received. I guess another reminder in the Gazette wouldn't be a bad idea... except that I feel a teensy bit guilty 'advertising' the forum in there because of the potential conflict.

Oh... and just for the record; the forum doesn't cost anyone anything - it rides for free on the back of my other webby stuff.

PS - the forum does get read quite a bit - nearly 2000 page views in the last month. Perhaps 'Cliffies' just don't like typing?
« Last Edit: 15 Jun 2014, 08:49:41 by Russell Brown »

HilaryB

• Snr. Member
« Reply #3 Posted: 17 Jun 2014, 11:28:28 »
Well said, Russell - you do a fine job - if people do not use it, no-one can force them!  We do remind residents several times a year................... ;)

Charlie

« Reply #4 Posted: 22 Jun 2014, 21:05:11 »
I posted the Big Band Concert which was a great success and raised for charity which will be reported in the next Parish Gazette. The post had 163 views. I am not sure whether we sold any tickets directly related to the post but we were sold out for the event.
BW
C

wildplaces

• Wildviews
  • Snr. Member
    • Wildviews natural history photography
« Reply #5 Posted: 23 Jun 2014, 07:10:53 »
I'm glad that the excellently-run overall promotion campaign reaped the sales Charles, and interesting that you did have that many views on here. We look forward to the next big band night!

Russell - your skills are many and variant :goodjob:. I do think it's an excellent resource and it should only be a question of keeping it in people's minds. 2000 page views a month is a good count for a village site. Maybe (like me) people don't realise that it has that level of interest - they think they're the only person looking at it :brickwall: and so don't see it as a useful place to advertise/discuss...

I 'signed up' to get an email whenever there is a new posting on the forum, and find that keeps me engaged. It did take me a few visits to figure out how to do it, but as a 'newbie' to the village, it has really helped.
Perhaps a simple link on the home page for users to get the same effect? It would of course only work for people who have signed up with an email address, but might help to drive postings?
To be cheeky, we might even automatically sign users up for getting notifications (maybe with an opt-out, rather than opt-in)?

"Enter your email address here to get a note when something new is posted on the forum".

I do think it would help to advertise in the gazette occasionally. E.g."Did you know you can sell your unwanted items through the village forum? <link address>". "2000 people a month check out our village forum" ;). If we were paying (how much?) then I don't see a conflict of interest.

Any more brainstorm ideas?

Charles

Tina

« Reply #6 Posted: 05 Jul 2014, 14:15:29 »
I find the forum very helpful.  I don't live in the village but my elderly dad does and so I can keep up to date with what is going on and let him know.  We've tried to get him on the computer but he refuses!  Long may it last!  :)

HilaryB

• Snr. Member
« Reply #7 Posted: 05 Jul 2014, 15:15:22 »
Nice to see you here as well as on FB, Tina! :))

Tina

« Reply #8 Posted: 06 Jul 2014, 15:18:43 »
Thanks Hilary, you know that you can take the girl out of Cliffe but you can't take Cliffe out of the girl! It will always be my home.  :D

Rob. M

• Parish Councillors
« Reply #9 Posted: 09 Jul 2014, 09:50:10 »
Agree, the Forum is very useful but is grossly under used. More publicity is needed. Do not see a conflict between Forum and the Gazette that iteself uses the Forum for Deanery links/church notices. Advertising the Forum in the Gazette seems the best way to reach most villagers. Some A4 posters dotted around might help and flyers on the tables at our Village Hall Summer teas. When I mentioned the Forum to some moderately computer savvy residents who have lived in 'Cliffe for over thirty years they said, 'What's the Forum?'!