Author Topic: Horsewater Renovation  (Read 722 times)

wildplaces

• Wildviews
  • Snr. Member
    • Wildviews natural history photography
Horsewater Renovation
« Posted: 03 Mar 2014, 17:53:51 »
I'm very keen to see the horsewater cleared out and made more 'usable' - particularly for dragonflies and other pond insects. I'm obviously very pleased to see from the Gazette that something may be done before spring.

Would it be possible for the dates and details to be made public as I am interested in helping out and learning what's best for the future from 'the experts'.

It should be a great environment for certain water invertebrates, away from the fast flowing Willowbrook. Maybe somewhere for some pond dipping?

Thanks

Charles

mgd

• Parish Councillors
Re: Horsewater Renovation
« Reply #1 Posted: 04 Mar 2014, 11:24:16 »
It's being cleaned out at the moment, by a team of volunteers. Tuesday Mar 4  10-30

wildplaces

• Wildviews
  • Snr. Member
    • Wildviews natural history photography
« Reply #2 Posted: 04 Mar 2014, 11:43:19 »
Aargh!
Unfortunately some of us are still gainfully employed, so can't get down there today.

Is there a published 'plan' ?

Charles

Rob. M

• Parish Councillors
« Reply #3 Posted: 06 Mar 2014, 22:12:14 »
No published plan but now that the excess reeds have been cleared together with the inflow and outflow how about volunteers to keep growth contained? Would you like to organise a, 'Friends of King's Cliffe Horsewater' group to do some maintenance? Northamptonshire Conservation Volunteers did the work this week and left advice for future. We avoided using machinery to minimise harming wildlife and undertook the work now before Spring growth and nesting begins. Will try posting some Horsewater before and after renovation pics. after reminding myself how to do this!