Author Topic: RAF Kings Cliffe  (Read 1096 times)

Mike

RAF Kings Cliffe
« Posted: 22 Feb 2014, 19:05:23 »
As I am sure many of you know King's Cliffe had an active airfield during World War Two. In the last couple of months I have started a website about the 20th Fighter Group who were based at King's Cliffe between August 1943 and October 1945. There are a large number of images of the airfield and personnel who were based there as well as copies of mission reports and other documents. I am adding to the site as and when I get time, I have over 18,000 pages of documents so it will not be finished for quite some time! The website can be found here: www.20thfightergroup.com

This picture shows the area next to the Wansford Road where the memorial now stands. some of the buildings are still standing today!

wildplaces

• Wildviews
  • Snr. Member
    • Wildviews natural history photography
Re: RAF Kings Cliffe
« Reply #1 Posted: 22 Feb 2014, 19:41:26 »
That's really interesting Mike, and excellent that you are taking the trouble to document and present the archive. I'm sure there will be a number of people who have their own information to offer you.

There is so much of interest in and around Kings Cliffe - we've only been here a short while and now realising it will take us a long time to really get to know the area!

Charles

sandieb

« Reply #2 Posted: 08 Feb 2015, 09:33:22 »
It is a shame that the county council has very few records on this important cultural site.  If you are able to get in touch with the Historical Environmental Records department of Northamptonshire County Council with some of your information it could be recorded for posterity.

This could hopefully protect it from development for caravan parks, housing, etc.

http://www.northamptonshire.gov.uk/en/councilservices/Community/archives/Pages/historic-environment-record.aspx

The contact there is Christine Addison - christine.addison@northamptonshire.gov.uk

JohnT

« Reply #3 Posted: 08 Apr 2015, 20:11:34 »
Very interesting website indeed. Bang goes work for the evening!