Author Topic: School Closure  (Read 1786 times)

concerned parent

School Closure
« Posted: 14 Feb 2014, 20:39:37 »
Anyone objecting to the middle school closing?? Very worried about the impact on the village and the little ones making that trip to Oundle. Is there anything happening about this?

n

Re: School Closure
« Reply #1 Posted: 15 Feb 2014, 11:16:32 »
Everyone I have spoken  to seems to only be interested in what's happening for the start of the new School year, this is going to be at LEAST 3 years of disruption and the kids Education will suffer, I know mine  are feeling unsettled. My main reason for moving to the village was the Schools.

concerned parent

« Reply #2 Posted: 15 Feb 2014, 18:16:18 »
Well I think the school ought to stay open so that disruption does not happen and they sort it out properly with the 2/3 tier discussion at the same time. If enough people said no they would have to listen to them! The timescales are totally unreasonable  especially for out of catchment rural parents who don't seem to be mentioned much! It is a rural school and should be protected. I am not even sure how much consultation has taken place with Year 4 parents of the Endowed School. The more people complain the better, if not they will just close it in September, the decision has not yet been made.

n

« Reply #3 Posted: 16 Feb 2014, 13:27:01 »
Well I would be up for a fight,  most think it is a done deal a good start is email DMills@Northamptonshire.gov.uk (anyone reading this please it effects the whole village)  he's in charge of consultations.

concerned parent

« Reply #4 Posted: 16 Feb 2014, 21:06:23 »
I totally agree, I have been starting to look into this and have attached the report the decision was based on to consult on closure. I found 3.7, 3.10 and 5.1 especially interesting. The shortfall 70k is one over both schools, 3.8 says it is the only viable option - what about other community services being provided through the site, doctors surgery, council services, waiting until 2 tier/3 tier issue sorted. 3.10 - all students to transfer? Does Oundle have capacity to take them or not? If the vast majority of the spare places are at kings cliffe I doubt it. What about the out of catchment parents who have used this school for many years who now have to sort their arrangements out urgently now as a result of this perceived fait accompli. Come on everyone object to this....

auvergne63

« Reply #5 Posted: 18 Feb 2014, 17:00:07 »
Is there a petition?  No children at home now but local education is vitally important and agree the school should not close.  (Does anyone know what the plans are for the site - in the event that it is a'fait accompli'?)  Will email the link but yes, everyone needs to get involved in this.

concerned parent

« Reply #6 Posted: 18 Feb 2014, 17:32:39 »
No petition that I have seen, what a good idea, any takers for setting one up?? I would still object even if you do not have little ones at the school as it will affect the village. The email address for objections was posted above. This would be the loss of an important rural school for the area. I wouldn't be surprised if they want to develop the site which of course would mean more children that need a school!! Please also speak to and email parish councillors as the county will consult them , your local district councillor, in and out of the area as they are also being consulted and your MP.

dag

« Reply #7 Posted: 18 Feb 2014, 20:38:40 »
This document has details about the proposed closure and the consultation process

http://www.glapthorn.org.uk/parishcouncil/ncc_kings_cliffe_consultation.pdf

There are two meetings next week (25/26th) in the village about this.

Also, I heard that the Lower School trustees were looking for a new site for the school with a view to selling off the existing one.  So, maybe they would move to the middle school site ?  Along with a new doctors surgery ........  (and we'd be shooting our bacon out of the sky!)

David

auvergne63

« Reply #8 Posted: 19 Feb 2014, 09:41:22 »
Will definitely do the emails - would it be an idea to send one to the MP Andy Sawford and the other parties?  If someone does put together a petition (obviously someone who knows more about the school etc) I wouldn't mind footslogging it around to get signatures.  I wonder if Oundle residents are worried about this - pressure on the school there and extra traffic/parking problems?

concerned parent

« Reply #9 Posted: 23 Feb 2014, 12:31:52 »
Totally agree about a letter to the MP and a very valid point about the Oundle School, I am not sure if they are aware of this at all... I am putting together a letter and will post it on line so you can all access it, amend as you wish. It would also provide the basis for a petition.

concerned parent

« Reply #10 Posted: 23 Feb 2014, 13:15:16 »
Draft Objection Letter attached as promised, also included are the email addresses of the MP and leader of East Northants. If you are an out of catchment parent please also email your local Councillor and MP. I will post a list of these and email addresses later.

Any problems please let me now.

Ps sorry about the two versions I have added another reason for objection on the second one.
« Last Edit: 23 Feb 2014, 13:51:34 by concerned parent »

concerned parent

« Reply #11 Posted: 23 Feb 2014, 13:27:43 »
Other email addresses for you to use:

alan.duncan.mp@parliament.uk   Rutland MP
rbegy@rutland.gov.uk                Leader Rutland CC

stewart.jackson.mp@parliament.uk   Peterborough MP
marco.cereste@peterborough.gov.uk Leader Peterborough

Any I have missed let me know.

mgd

• Parish Councillors
« Reply #12 Posted: 26 Feb 2014, 11:02:53 »
Thought last night's meeting , at the Endowed School,about closure,restructuring etc was good . Please every one who has any views either for or against remember to inform NCC by March 7 

Fireworks Graham

« Reply #13 Posted: 08 Mar 2014, 13:08:44 »
I went to the Middle School consultation and the one at Prince William and have gained a bit more insight which I think may help in people's thinking.

There is a capital budget with NCC to help the transition from 3 tier to 2 tier if that is what is decided.  This pot could be used to provide a new school for up to 11 years of age in the village.  A school capable of handling larger numbers of pupils that the present endowed school.  There is a willingness by various parties to invest in a new school and this would, if it happens secure schooling in the village.

There will be distruption if there is a change but what is being proposed can and will happen by individual schools deciding to keep children until age 11 and Prince William have already declared they intend to take children from age 11.  If this change is co-ordinated by NCC the transition should be smoother.

Thrapston are mounting a huge campaign to keep their middle school and primary schools in the south of the PWS catchment area will struggle to accomodate two extra years.

There is a feeling that this is a "done deal" but even if this round of consultations leads to a decision to go to two tier there is a further period of consultation around the detail.  This is a more important consulation as getting the detail wrong will impact more on children.

From the consultations I have no strength of feeling as to whether 3 or 2 tier is the right answer but I am anxious that the standard of education is excellent and children are able to learn without the huge amount of disruption that these 2 changes could cause.  I think an underlying principle for me is that if the system remains 3 tier the governing bady should work to get more pupils into the King's Cliffe middle school and keep it open.  If we go to 2 tier no child should have to move school for a period of less than 2 years to minimise the unsettling effects of school moves.