Author Topic: Murdering rooks!  (Read 931 times)

HilaryB

• Snr. Member
Murdering rooks!
« Posted: 05 Apr 2012, 17:41:28 »
Will whichever of our neighbours who is shooting the rooks in our immediate area please stop it?  The corpses end up in our garden, so it has to be a near neightbour!  Those birds and their ancestors have been here much longer than you have - they do no harm, I presume you dislike their noisy voices - PLEASE STOP DOING IT!  The tree being targeted has been checked by a tree surgeon and is perfectly healthy - please let the birds breed there if they chose to.  You got rid of the first ones who built there this year, and have now done it again!  Murderers!

Russell Brown

• Global Moderator
    • Russell's Home Page
Re: Murdering rooks!
« Reply #1 Posted: 07 Apr 2012, 10:45:25 »
Couldn't agree more.  The rooks are a part of the village scene and their nesting is a prelude to summer. They've been in the village since time immemorial and will be long after we're all long gone.

Yes they are noisy for a while (we've probably got more close to us than anyone else in the village so I'm not talking hypothetically!!) but they'll be gone in a few short weeks.

They're highly social and intelligent animals - just watch them interact, constructing their nests or teaching their youngsters to fly. It's fascinating.

No reason to shoot them whatsoever.

HilaryB

• Snr. Member
Re: Murdering rooks!
« Reply #2 Posted: 07 Apr 2012, 11:48:57 »
My favourite bit about the intelligence of rooks : if I go outside to throw out large bits of bread etc., there is immediately a loud 'rook' conversation going on in the spinney, basically saying "Hey guys, she's feeding us again" and within seconds, not minutes - there they are, en masse, and all the bread has gone.  But they ignore the small seeds I throw down for the other small birds, TOO difficult to get a good mouthful and take flight!