Author Topic: Former Residents #1  (Read 1309 times)

Chris Berkeley

Former Residents #1
« Posted: 25 Feb 2012, 10:35:26 »
I am a former resident of KC village. I left in 1956 not through my own volition but because my parents moved to London.

My father, Geoffrey Berkeley, who died in 2009, was a teacher at the village school from I think mid 1952. He was ex-British Army having served with the Royal Scots Greys in WW2 and BOAR until 1948. Unusually he was in fact born in Germany having changed his name when he joined the BA in 1942.

My father had married my mother Ingeborg Berkeley (nee Kühle) in 1947 whilst still in the army in Germany and I came along in 1949. My mother died in 1985.

Once he was demobbed my father did his teacher training at Goldsmiths' College in London and subsequently taught at other village schools including Hanslope before landing the position at the Cliffe.

We lived in a "tied house" (as in tied to the job) which I believe was called "Old School House" at the time but which now seems to be known as "Law's Library".

On Monday 8th June 1953 a group form the village went to London to see the Coronation decorations and what not. They had their photo taken when they took a river cruise.

This image is a scan of a photo taken by Briggs Press Agency of 74, London Road who claim copyright. This is a low res version and can be taken down if the subsequent copyright owners feel their rights have been infringed by this posting.

My father is the one smoking a pipe, I am on his lap and my mother is looking away from the camera at me... no doubt fretting about whether there is some way I can contrive to free myself from my father's grasp and hurl myself into the River Thames. She was ever the  worrier my Mum.

I have a high res version of this image for anyone who may wish to download it.
« Last Edit: 25 Feb 2012, 11:29:53 by Chris Berkeley »

Chris Berkeley

Re: Former Residents #1
« Reply #1 Posted: 03 Mar 2012, 00:00:01 »
Because there have been no responses to my first post along the lines of "That's me" or "That's..." I was beginning to think that the identification of the photo by my mother that it was of a village based tour party was mistaken.

Happily one correspondent has allayed my fears and identified "...the gentleman with pork-pie hat and glasses as Mr Harry Elijah Dixon, and Mrs Frances Chown (the wife of one of the village bakers) on the left; also Mrs Mabel Sharpe in the foreground right."

So if you can identify any of the folks in the photo please do so.

To the left as you stood in the garden facing the house we lived in there were some almshouses occupied by elderly ladies. I was friendly with one of the residents, a Miss Dixon and she made a bit of a pet of me. 

Another correspondent has identified her as "Miss Janet Dixon lived to a ripe old age - 94 - and is buried in the village cemetery." I wonder what year she passed as she was still living in the almshouse  when I briefly passed through in 1977 and I called on her. I am pleased to say that she did say that she did remember me.

When we left the village to move to London in 1956 she gave me an old china cup, saucer and plate set decorated with a hand coloured pattern featuring a repeating scene of some dubious characters hanging around a pie stall. I still have it. The three quite delicate pieces sit on the shelf in the "good" cabinet,  having survived some twenty house moves including three intercontinental ones.

I wonder if anyone else in the village has other pieces.

« Last Edit: 03 Mar 2012, 00:05:21 by Chris Berkeley »

HilaryB

• Snr. Member
« Reply #2 Posted: 08 Mar 2012, 10:36:11 »
Hi Chris - Janet Dixon died in 1994 - as I said before, aged 94!  I think the gentleman in the photo, third on the right, is Harry Wyles; the lady next to him is Mrs. Hetty Dixon, Harrilijah's (as we all called him) wife; Harry was Janet Dixons brother.  I have put out feelers and keep showing the photo to various 'natives' who may recognise other people.  The ones already identified are correct.  Will carry on trying!  Re the china, can't help at all, sorry.  I think the fact that so many of the older residents don't use this forum is contributing to the lack of information.

HilaryB

• Snr. Member
« Reply #3 Posted: 08 Mar 2012, 12:43:27 »
Next reply -have a friend in this morning (was Margaret Lucas) who thinks she has a photo from the other end of the boat!  She is going to look it out and scan it to me!