Author Topic: millennium wood fencing damage  (Read 1390 times)

dearlove

millennium wood fencing damage
« Posted: 30 Jan 2012, 21:31:53 »
I don't know whether many people may already be aware that the fence in one corner of the Millennium Wood is not secure and our dog has escaped through it on more than one occasion. Presumably, this means that it is also an access point for various wild creatures, which makes it doubly attractive, because of all the interesting scents. As this is an area where many dog walkers like to let their dog off the lead, including us,  I wondered whether there was anything which could be done? We are more than happy to lend a hand repairing the fence, but it is extremely difficult to pin-point the exact escape route as it is so overgrown, inside and outside. I know a small dog who could show us, but even if he could talk English, I doubt he'd hang around long enough to explain! Does anyone have any suggestions how we might go about solving this problem? 

HilaryB

• Snr. Member
Re: millennium wood fencing damage
« Reply #1 Posted: 03 Feb 2012, 09:50:53 »
I understand that the fence was originally constructed to protect the new trees from deer and rabbits; don't think it was meant to make the wood escape proof for dogs.  I am waiting for an update from the powers that be on this matter.  Will keep you informed :)

dearlove

« Reply #2 Posted: 03 Feb 2012, 22:46:26 »
I realise that, but the wood still attracts many dog walkers who believe they can let their dogs off the lead without fear of losing them. I wasn't suggesting that repairing the fence was the responsibility of any village group or organisation, or that the intended purpose of the Millennium Wood was for dog-walking. If people believe it to be secure, they are mistaken and there may be something which could be done to repair the fence without upsetting the environmental balance. Or are you suggesting that it is not really an appropriate dog-walking area? 

HilaryB

• Snr. Member
« Reply #3 Posted: 04 Feb 2012, 11:37:42 »
I realise this is considered by many as an area safe to let dogs who might be 'bolters' off the lead; as you have pointed out, it isn't now completely secure; I am in touch with the parties responsible (with my Parish Clerk hat on) and waiting for a reply from them. It would appear at the moment there are no plans to repair the fence. It is therefore up to dog owners how they deal with this; to my knowledge its perfectly appropriate for dog walking but be aware they can escape!

dearlove

« Reply #4 Posted: 06 Feb 2012, 12:44:36 »
....so with this in mind, are there any other dog owners who are interested in repairing the fence and, perhaps more importantly, have some idea how we may go about it?